Skeg mechanism falling out on Explorer

Dabend

Hi all,

I have an Explorer that I got a couple of years ago. When I was cleaning it after my last paddle, I noticed that a piece of the skeg structure that secures it into the opening (not the skeg itself) was loose and was literally hanging down a outside of the skeg box. I looked closely and saw what appeared to be two whitish plastic bolts(?) that seemed to have sheared and were no longer connecting the piece to the inside of the skeg box.

Any one have any experience with this or know how to repair it?

See pdf attached.

Thanks,

David

Explorer Skeg.pdf

David:

Don't see any posts replying to your problem. And while I have a couple of Explorers, they are vintage with the older rope skegs so I don't recognize the skeg mechanism or the problem on your boat.

If you're still stuck, contact a NDK dealer. Tom Bergh on Peaks Is. in Portland, ME is where I bought my boats and he's has been an NDK dealer since the beginning of time (or at least soon after Nigel started making them), so he probably can help. Just saw him Friday at Maine Island Kayak Company (www.maineislandkayak.com) and he still has the boats and the parts.

Scott