Beverly L2+ Coastal Exploration

bbjorn

If you're still getting your sea legs and not quite ready to venture farther out from shore, come join me on a leisurely paddle up the beautiful coastline of Beverly Massachusetts. This trip is geared for the level 2+ paddler (for paddle level descriptions see here: http://nspn.org/paddle_levels.htm ).

We will meet at Lynch Park in Beverly at 10:30 Saturday morning and launch from there at 11:00. There is a small parking fee for non-residents. We'll follow the coastline northeast toward Manchester-by-the-Sea at a leisurely 2 - 2.5 knot pace, or whatever pace the group is comfortable with. If conditions are mild and we have enough time and energy, we may make the half-mile crossing out to the beautiful Misery Islands, a perfect lunch stop.

We will plan to arrive back at Lynch park between 4:30 and 5:00 PM. Total distance 7 - 9 miles depending on whether or not we go to the Miseries.

Note that this trip is weather dependent. The current forecast is for clear skies and moderate breeze from the WSW which means a tail wind in the morning and headwind on the return. If the forecast changes significantly, the location may be changed or the trip possibly canceled. You can turn on the Follow this topic option at the top of the screen to be informed of any updates.

You must have a sea-worthy touring sea kayak, at least 15 feet in length, with spray skirt and PFD. A wetsuit (shortie, farmer john/jane, or full) is recommended, or at least sufficient layers of NON-cotton material to keep you warm if you end up in the water. Bring your lunch, water, snacks and sunblock.

Note also that this is a CAM trip (http://www.nspn.org/...rticipation.htm). There won't be any formal instruction, although we should all be willing to share our knowledge informally throughout the day.

If interested please RSVP here and let me know the likelihood of your attending so I can get a head count.

Blaine Bjornstad

Just to let everyone who does not know the fee for non-residents is $15 dollars on the weekend. I actually work at lynch and will be down there working on Saturday. I have done this paddle many time and it is great fun, however I have never been to Misery Island. I do believe there is also a $5 dollar fee get on Misery Island that a very hard to avoid park ranger collects.

Connor

Just to let everyone who does not know the fee for non-residents is $15 dollars on the weekend. I actually work at lynch and will be down there working on Saturday. I have done this paddle many time and it is great fun, however I have never been to Misery Island. I do believe there is also a $5 dollar fee get on Misery Island that a very hard to avoid park ranger collects.

Connor

egads!! It's been a while since I last parked at Lynch and was relying on online sources for the parking fee info. So much for accuracy online. The problem is there are no other publicly accessible launch points until you reach Stage Fort Park in Gloucester. I was not aware of a fee for visiting the MIserys. I have landed on both Great Misery and Little Misery many times in the past several years and have not seen a ranger. Maybe just luck.

Thanks for the info, Connor.

At this point the trip is still on, pending a couple more interested paddlers willing to pay the exhorbitant parking fee.

Blaine

I'm canceling this trip due to insufficient interest. I may reschedule it sometime this summer if I can work out a better parking arrangement, maybe a shuttle to Lynch park from somewhere else in the area where we can park free.

Janice, you might want to consider Doug Mogill's trip out of Lanes Cove this Saturday, paddling around the tip of Rockport -- a really nice area. (http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8716).

Current NOAA predictions for Saturday are similar to last Saturday afternoon -- 10 -13 mph winds and fairly calm seas.

Blaine

My suggestions for the future are this:

1) the staff does not get there till 8AM so in the future if you want to go on the weekend and are willing to do an early start then get there right before 8 and it will be free.

2) During the week it is only 5 dollars and 3 for seniors (65 and older), however we do run four awesome camps out of lynch so the park will be a little busy, but that should not be a problem for launching kayaks. Also if anyone has children ages 5-13 I would highly recommend signing up for them (sorry for the advertisement lol, but I am a counselor at one of the camps and they really are great)

Thanks Blaine for trying to get the trip going. I did see the Lane's Cove trip and it looks great but I'm worried about the distance. I comfortably stretched myself last weekend with the 7-8 miles and this trip looks like it's much longer. I can check to see how long Pru is going and perhaps return early with her. I don't want to have to have a tow (if worse comes to worst or visa versa!)!

Janice