Is a roll ever bombproof?

JohnHuth

The solo question intrigued me, but I wanted to ask it in a different light. Does anyone claim to have a "bombproof" roll?

I will confess to a weak offside sweep. My onside is ok, and extended paddle is strong on both sides. I practice them in as windy/wavey/nasty conditions I can find.

I have the following conjecture - given enough wind, no one's roll is bombproof (yes, you shouldn't be out in such conditions, etc, but it happens). That is to say - if you try to roll the wrong way with respect to the wind, if the wind is strong enough, you'll find your limit.

John Huth

the answer is no---a roll is never bombproof---some kayakers have awfully good reliable rolls, but bombproof implies perfection--first time every time no matter what---no body has that--that's why we practice other means of self rescue in addition to the roll.

Mostly bombproof if the seas are less than 6 foot or the river is class 2... above those levels and many things can break your concentration..there is no shame in the occasional swim.

If you push your limits you will swim at some point.

Paul

Hey Paul, You must have forgotten about the day you and i were off Portsmouth after the storm and you got caught by that "surprise":-) That bugger was a lot bigger that 6 feet and you rolled up like a champ after that one!!

Regards to all!!

Ken C

Kayakless right now and on the Very Dark Side!

MAAS Flyweight24 Ocean Shell

is about as bombproof as anyone's.

Once upon a time after trying to land at Horseneck beach with about three lines of 6-8' breaking surf, we both endoed. At the time, I didn't know how to roll much less brace and out of the boat I came... After he and Rick got me back in my boat, Paul hooked on to tow us out past the breaking waves while Rick and I fumbled with putting my skirt back on. At one point a big one came and broke on Paul who rolled over and promptly kept right on towing us through the waves.

If anyone has a "bombproof" roll, it is Paul! If he says no one's roll is bombproof, it isn't!

Suz

"forgotten about the day..."? of course he's forgotten about it...who the heck remember? it's been so long, we've all grown old in the meantime!

who is this "kenC", one wonders? and MAAS? what is ? we do have a member here called Maas (he's from some strange country on the bottom of the North Sea) and then there's i-maas that is a curdled mixture of milk and whoknowswhatelse, much beloved of the zulus; but "MAAS"? oh, and shells: they are also found on the bottom of the ocean, aren't they, ken?

when are you coming to paddle with us? ;^)

I swam last weekend most likely because I didn't go to my offside in the river, offside had the downstream advantage.

And there was a little swim last fall.......

It is all relative to how much you push yourself.

Ken, We have missed you. Any time we can work it out I will bring a boat for you to paddle.

Hope all is well with you and your family.

Hey Christopher and Paul, and others! I may take you up on that at some point. I've missed my NSPN buddies also. The shell is out of storage and if i can get my butt out enough i may be at the blackburn. Not sure if i'll be in my single or a double. I've talked a couple of rowers into giving it a go. This thing supposedly handles some pretty rough stuff with a skilled orsman, unfortunately it doesn't handle rocks all that well!

I haven't thrown out the possibility of picking up a plastic Avocet soon, i just hate that sound of the rocks gouging fibreglass!:-) My old Romany has a good home up in the Portland Area so keep your eye out for Old Yellow!

As i get more rough water practice here and in Cape Cod bay at the summer place, i'll be heading to the NOrth Shore for some practice. I'll drop you all a line when i do.

Take care and my regards to all...

Ken

I've seen it happen a lot in whitewater, and in tidal races, where people trying to roll up on the upstream side get windowshaded.

If I were to guess, I'd say between 3 and 5 knots. If you allow your boat to float a little, and catch up with the current, the effect is lessened. Of course, that requires holding your breath a little longer.....

Wayne