Moonlight paddle, first of the season...

Pintail

Next weekend, Saturday 2nd of June (it is posted on the calender): shall we say meet 1900 in Lanes Cove, to be on the water sometime between seven and seven-thirty? I promise it will be mellow. We can stop on one of the beaches thereabouts for sustenance, so paddlers are advised to bring a snack. The water is warming up very nicely, now. We will <probably> go westwards, towards Annisquam and Coffins Beach; but this is totally flexible.

Attendees for this conference -- sorry: participants for this trip leave an indication here, please...

Next weekend, Saturday 2nd of June (it is posted on the calender): shall we say meet 1900 in Lanes Cove, to be on the water sometime between seven and seven-thirty? I promise it will be mellow. We can stop on one of the beaches thereabouts for sustenance, so paddlers are advised to bring a snack. The water is warming up very nicely, now. We will <probably> go westwards, towards Annisquam and Coffins Beach; but this is totally flexible.

Attendees for this conference -- sorry: participants for this trip leave an indication here, please...

Farmer's Almanac shows the full moon in June on the 4th . . . was the intention to paddle just in the moonlight, or specifically with the full moon?

The July full moon paddle date and day is incorrect as well - the full moon is on Tuesday the 3rd

August is incorrect as well - there is no full moon early in the month on the 3rd, it is on Friday 8/31.

Dianemarie, you will be very welcome. I suggest you bring a headlamp or torch (flashlight to you): most of us paddle in darkness or near-darkness -- I usually have a small white LED light on the back of my PFD; but I prefer to paddle with it switched off (it is there for emergency or necessity -- same as a white headlamp that can be shined at working vessels, if we were to encounter any -- we will not, after dark, in all probability). Apart from that, just bring whatever snack and liquids you feel you will need.

Pinkpaddler: you are quite right regarding the actual full-moon; but I and most others on this board are working people and cannot afford to stay out too late during the week -- feel free to post a "real full-moon trip", if you should feel like it; but I will <usually> settle for the nearest Friday or Saturday evening...OK with you? I live and work in Gloucester, so for me it is not quite as bad as for people who might live a fair schlepp from here (like Leslie, for example!) I hope you'll join us, nevertheless?

The water temperature is around 60F now, I understand, so there is no dire need of much protective gear. I shall likely as not be wearing a light dry-top. The past few weeks have been very comfortable on and in the water.

PhilM and Lori (new members, folks -- so be nice to them!): I look forwards to seeing you around 7pm (1900) in Lanes Cove. Invariably, our night-time paddles have been on rather <smooth> seas; but -- you never know! It sounds as though you will fit in very well (I am responding to a PM Phil sent me; but I forget where to find "respond" mode!)

PhilM and Lori (new members, folks -- so be nice to them!): I look forwards to seeing you around 7pm (1900) in Lanes Cove. Invariably, our night-time paddles have been on rather <smooth> seas; but -- you never know! It sounds as though you will fit in very well (I am responding to a PM Phil sent me; but I forget where to find "respond" mode!)

Another Phil and Lori in NSPN?! Welcome, and you will have to meet the other ("original"?) Phil and Lorrie!

Anyway, wish I could join you all for trip but will be away doing a training over wknd - although weather is calling for rain for Sat, so the moon may be somewhat hidden... Hope for your sakes it is not!

pru

Hope to be there Sir Godfrey!

Deb

I am so encouraged by all the reponses -- lots of old friends getting together again to start the season; but it looks as though the weather may curtail our fun: if it is really rainy and miserable, I think we should call it off -- although here on the island the conditions can often be quite different to elsewhere (example: Tuesday last, it was sunny and gorgeous two miles down the road, whilst Gloucester sat in low cloud and fog all day! Go figure, as the Americans say!)

Check this place (Trips forum) tomorrow -- Saturday.

Friends, Romans, countrymen...lend me your paddles (please)! Sadly, I think we must bag tonight's performance: it is really looking set for misery all day long and I have even heard some talk of possible charlie-bravos tonight (Cb = charlie bravo in another parlance = thunderstorm). A decision has to be made sooner or later -- I'm making this one earlier.

Perhaps we can paddle next weekend -- let's see...