Chebacco Lake 2012

It's that time again! NSPN's longest-running lake session begins for the 2012 season.

As in years past, we gather in the cove at the south end of Chebacco Lake in Manchester every Thursday at 5pm to practice rolls, rescues, boat-handling skills, and the infamous Stupid Kayak Tricks. We usually keep going until the sun goes down.

It's a great chance to polish your skills and get ready for summer.

You'll need your boat, PFD, paddle and sprayskirt, and either a wetsuit or a drysuit. The water is warmer than it was this time last year, but we're not up to swimming suit temps yet.

To get there, take Rt 128 to Exit 16, Pine St, Manchester, and take the road North, away from town. The road soon turns to dirt, but have no fear, keep going for a mile or so. When the paving resumes, watch for the launching ramp on your right.

See you there!

It's that time again! NSPN's longest-running lake session begins for the 2012 season.

As in years past, we gather in the cove at the south end of Chebacco Lake in Manchester every Thursday at 5pm to practice rolls, rescues, boat-handling skills, and the infamous Stupid Kayak Tricks. We usually keep going until the sun goes down.

It's a great chance to polish your skills and get ready for summer.

You'll need your boat, PFD, paddle and sprayskirt, and either a wetsuit or a drysuit. The water is warmer than it was this time last year, but we're not up to swimming suit temps yet.

To get there, take Rt 128 to Exit 16, Pine St, Manchester, and take the road North, away from town. The road soon turns to dirt, but have no fear, keep going for a mile or so. When the paving resumes, watch for the launching ramp on your right.

See you there!

It's in my GPS. Hope to get there next Thursday. A few trips out in the Surge this year solo made me realize a comfortable roll is a MUST. It is kind of scary when no one else is about!

Tom

Hey,

This is my first year really kayaking, and I want to advance my skills as much as a can this year. I am currently taking a class over at Charles River Canoe and Kayak (it is their intro course that teaches strokes, bracing, and rescues) however it does not teach rolls and I would like to learn how to do that. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me learn how to do a good roll. I will probably start coming to these sessions as often as I can, I would have come yesterday but I have not checked into the forums in a while and did not realize they had started.

Connor

Helen and I atended our 1st NSPN "activity' on Thursday in Hamilton, and I am very happy to report that it was a very good experience. I, as a rather "free spirit" self indulgent type, was just a little put off by the focus initially exhibited by the NSPN regular making the the educational experience happen. However, he determined who among the attendees was most in need of encouragement and guidance and, in a very professional manner, taught those participants basic outfitting requirements of their boats. After hitting the calm water and gathering us a few from yards suitable soft beach he showed unbelievable focus doing his utmost to instruct. Helen, my wife, who benefitted from his attention, and now is a confident beginner is anxious to work and evolve into a safe and serious sea kayaker, has overnight become a true "participant". I've who have been paddling by the "seat of my pants" for 50+ years learned the proper terminology applied to skills acquired , and additionally from other experienced members in attendance learned that there are many very efficient and safe practices/methods that all serious paddlers can benefit from. I'll never pay to put my boat in a swimming pool, but I will certainly be back at Chebacco Lake another day to learn.

Also, it is significant that among the participants it was about 4 to 1 skilled paddlers anxious to HELP!

Tom

It is important to remember that NSPN lake sessions are unstructured practice sessions. They are not "kayaking lessons" and we have no paid instructors or liability coverage. We operate on the Common Adventure Model.

I have been going to Chebacco Lake for 8 summers now, because I continue to learn and improve my boat handling. Sometimes I share what I've learned and sometimes I'm looking for pointers on how to improve some technique.

It's an exploration.

One thing I have learned is how integrated the various skills of paddling are. Someone who has a smooth, effortless roll probably also has confident edging control and an elegant style with a paddle.

I would encourage anyone who wants to learn to roll to seek out some classes with a good coach to get the elements of the art roughed in. Then come practice with us!

I would encourage anyone who wants to learn to roll to seek out some classes with a good coach to get the elements of the art roughed in. Then come practice with us!

Good advice! CRCK has excellent rolling instructors and classes. But sign up early, as slots go fast.

--David (no relationship with CRCK other than a long-time satisfied customer; got my first roll there with Kevin)

Anyone know of any other places close by that offer classes in rolling? I looked and I will not be able to make any of the Charles River classes. Also thanks for the information. I am still trying to figure how everything runs here. I will still definitely be coming to the some of the lake sessions, to work on my skills and meet some new people!

Connor

Anyone know of any other places close by that offer classes in rolling? I looked and I will not be able to make any of the Charles River classes. Also thanks for the information. I am still trying to figure how everything runs here. I will still definitely be coming to the some of the lake sessions, to work on my skills and meet some new people!

Connor

Hi Connor,

Salem Rec Department offers rolling classes at the Forest River pool starting August 4th. I'm not sure what the residency requirements are, but some years ago I took Intro to Kayaking there with friends who were not Salem residents. The calendar is at the site:

http://www.salem.com/Pages/SalemMA_RecCal/?FormID=158&Date=20120802&calView=0

Bob

Anyone know of any other places close by that offer classes in rolling?

I don't know who is running the clinic, but according to their website, AMC Boston is holding a Kayak Rolling Clinic

Tuesday, July 17 & Thursday, July 19, evenings

Fees: $45 for AMC members ($55 non-AMC members). For kayak rental, add $15 to fee.

They say "This clinic is for whitewater kayakers only." However, lots of NSPN paddlers enjoy both WW and Sea kayaking. If you are willing to learn in a White Water Kayak, they would even rent you one of their kayaks.

Hi Connor,

At the Walden Pond sessions on Wednesday, students who are interested in rolling get guidance, primarily Greenland (stick) but there is help with the euro paddle roll. Learning Greenland style rolls comes in handy when trying to master euro paddle rolls - but I am sure people will disagree with me - it is my humble opinion. Nevertheless, last year's Walden sessions produced three first-time rollers and, many more who had a roll, lost it, only to find it again.

A gentle note that taking rolling classes is helpful for pointers - but it is practice, practice, practice with a mentor who can point out what you are doing wrong that helps with the muscle memory and technique.

The comment on the pool sessions is misguided. The pool sessions give opportunities to practice rolling with guidance in the dead of winter. For some of us, it is quite the workout (2 1/2 hours) and it gets us ready for the paddling season.

Les

Hi Connor,

At the Walden Pond sessions on Wednesday, students who are interested in rolling get guidance, primarily Greenland (stick) but there is help with the euro paddle roll. Learning Greenland style rolls comes in handy when trying to master euro paddle rolls - but I am sure people will disagree with me - it is my humble opinion. Nevertheless, last year's Walden sessions produced three first-time rollers and, many more who had a roll, lost it, only to find it again.

A gentle note that taking rolling classes is helpful for pointers - but it is practice, practice, practice with a mentor who can point out what you are doing wrong that helps with the muscle memory and technique.

The comment on the pool sessions is misguided. The pool sessions give opportunities to practice rolling with guidance in the dead of winter. For some of us, it is quite the workout (2 1/2 hours) and it gets us ready for the paddling season.

Les

Merely a quick comment to all of the above: My son and I took rolling classes through CRCK this past winter, and they used whitewater kayaks to teach the basic skills. For both of us, this translated quite nicely into rolling sea kayaks, which we then practiced over and over at the Haverhill pool sessions on subsequent weekends. He now has an effortless roll, while mine, although working, requires effort. Practice practice practice is the key, and I intend to use the lake sessions to hone the skill over the coming months. Although still nursing a slight injury sustained at Thursday's session, I will be back either this week or next - in addition to sharing observations on my rolling technique, the experienced participants in the session last week shared an incredible amount of paddling techniques with me. I am very grateful for their sharing, and look forward to continuing the discussions and sharing going forward. Muchas gracias.....!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been lurking on the boards for a year or so, this will be the first event for NSPN that I will be attending. This will be my sfirst time out this year. I'll be in a black Jeep with an organge perception 165. Hope to meet you all out there.

Sean

ETA: I looked but could not find a welcome new members thread.

I've been lurking on the boards for a year or so, this will be the first event for NSPN that I will be attending. This will be my sfirst time out this year. I'll be in a black Jeep with an organge perception 165. Hope to meet you all out there.

Sean

Welcome "new member"!

Nice to have you aboard. We are currently working on that as we speak. It's been a while since we altered or added things to our site. There is actually a "Welcome Committee" now in place. I'm sure Prudence will be reaching out to you soon.

Doug

Sean

Sorry, I spoke too soon. I see that you are not a paid member yet.

Well feel free to join and enjoy what the club has to offer paid members.

Hope to see you on the water one day soon.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Guys/Gals,

Some weeks ago Helen and I attended a session at Chebbaco lake. At the time the exercise appeared a little tedious , but the instruction Helen received put her on the path to becoming a safe sane kayak enthusiast. During the Chebbaco exercise I chose to participate in an assisted "self" rescue as an encouragement for Helen. She did well, I floundered around a bit, but I managed with assistance. Little did I know, or even suspect that my involvement would prove significant.

Over the years I have paddled a variety of "tubs" that, though tough to move were VERY forgiving in less than flat conditions. NOT So with a narrow beam sea kayak!!! I found out on Thursday. I was taking a paddle out of Tucks in Beverly hoping to hit a few of the islands in Salem sound. A "stink pot" cruiser passed to the port, and I thought it might be a good time to test the response of my Surge. BAD Move! I let the cresting wake of the big boat have it's way and suddenly, unexpectedly found myself "bottoms up". I'm pretty good submerged, but in spite of my confidence, the instant circumstance, for a second put me in a panic mode. Then common sense told me to grab the fwd skirt and yank. The custom skirt fits VERY tight, and was not forgiving, but I managed after a 2nd attempt to exit. Then it was about me on the surface and getting back into the boat! After several(probably 10) minutes of attempting to "swim" into the cockpit, it became obvious that some other method was required. THANK GOD on a previous paddle that Bill Lord had casually mentioned that a paddle float was a useful item to have aboard! Got aboard, pumped out,and continued to Misery. Lesson learned. BIG difference between recreational boats and dedicated sea kayaks!!!