panasonic camera repair

prudenceb

I have - and have been happy with - my (supposedly) waterproof Panasonic Lumix (same one that a lot of nspn folks have and have liked). Happy until I went to take some pictures of a huge tree that was just taken down behind my house and the camera was completely frozen up. While it turned on, none of the important buttons (shutter, zoom etc) worked. So no pictures of the cool downed tree. I was recently on vacation in the Virgin Islands and took a lot of underwater pictures, cleaned it (I thought) faithfully with fresh water after every use etc. Took it out this past wknd for a paddle and took some pix and everything was fine. But three days later, it doesn't work. So....does anyone have suggestions about best place to have camera diagnosed/repaired? Hunt's camera? Send it back to Panasonic?

Thanks -

pru

Hi Pru-

Is it still under warranty? And to be insultingly obvious, how's the battery charge?

I've had two panasonics die on me from eventual water penetration. One under warranty, one not. The warrantied one was replaced by panasonic, so if you think it's worth repairing I'd work through them. Just be aware that they're not very good at communicating.

Phil

Hi, Pru,

The Panasonic has one very, very bad flaw - it corrodes in salt water. Something about the finish or the type of metal makes it very difficult to wash the salt water off - I have followed all the directions (soaking for 10 min., etc) to the letter and then some and still get a white salt buildup on the camera.

My first Lumix started showing signs of corrosion (pits in the metal, fogging up much worse than usual, and stuck buttons) just before the warranty ran out, so I sent it back to Panasonic and got a new one (the newer one has GPS, so I guess that's an improvement, really). Now, in addition to the soaking, I use Salt-Away on it EVERY TIME, with a toothbrush, being very careful to keep the Salt-Away off the clear lens cover. Don't want to mess with that water-repellent coating!

I suggest that if your camera is still under warranty you send it back for a refurbished one. When I sent my camera back, the paperwork that came with the new one implied that they tested the old one for being waterproof, then cleaned, then tested it again. I actually sent it back for the frozen buttons, but apparently it's all connected.

Otherwise, try working the buttons free: hold the camera buttons-down in warm water and work the buttons for a long time, use Salt-Away on the buttons (you can try putting a band-aid or something over the lens to protect it) Even when the buttons free up, when the camera dries they might freeze up on you again if you don't get all the salt out.

It's a great camera otherwise. I can't help but think that maybe all the salt problems happen because they wanted to have a cool-looking metallic case for marketing reasons. I bet if they just did a simple plastic case like other cameras there would be no problem.

Hope this helps!

Lisa

What model do you have? How long have you had it? I have the DMC Ts1, in my fourth year. I baby it, but so far no problems. Just clean and dry it every time. When it dies, I guess I'll feel like I got my money's worth, but I hope it doesn't die for a while. It was in the $450 range (from Hunts), which is way more than they are now...

What model do you have? How long have you had it? I have the DMC Ts1, in my fourth year. I baby it, but so far no problems. Just clean and dry it every time. When it dies, I guess I'll feel like I got my money's worth, but I hope it doesn't die for a while. It was in the $450 range (from Hunts), which is way more than they are now...

Not sure exactly which model (I'm at work now) but I know it's the same one that Phil A has. I'll have to look to see if it's still under warranty - I bought it around a year ago. Definitely not my money's worth if it is dead and not replaceable...

I have had several Nikon pocket type cameras. My current model died last summer(It happens). For $100 Nikon repaired/replaced it and had it back to me in a few days. Unless your camera is more than a few years old, manufacturer repairs make sense. Check mfg. website.

Tom

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will check when I got camera, and in any event send it back to Panasonic for whatever they need to do with it. Hopefully it will be back and in working order for many scheduled events in May!

pru

Bob has the first generation of this camera. After 2 years of use, it sputtered out last year. He sent it for repair, which cost about

$190.00.

A new Lumix runs around $200+ on Amazon.

As soon as my crappy Pentax waterproof camera dies, I'm going to look at the new NIkon waterproof, provided the price has come down. It's gotten good reviews but it's expensive right now.

Deb M

If you want low light sensitivity when buying a new camera, look for the newer "rear illuminated" style sensors. I'm now using a waterproof, Sony pocket cam which was one of the first ones to get this new technology, but a lot of others are offering it now also. With the old sensors, anything above 10MP generally took worse pictures than the 8-10MP sizes. This new one is 16MP, takes great pictures and has fantastic low light sensitivity.

Cheers!

Ty