i coulda had a v8.....

rick stoehrer

great night on the river. was most impressed with the EPIC V8 - wow! what a ski!!

i don't have huge experience with ski's but seems like a real game changer! for the first time on a ski, i just hopped on and went! and went fast! you don't have to spend years learning how to get your seat; it's stable! consequently, you can concentrate on your stroke and just go fast! it has none of the twitchiness of the v10 and other ski's. i understand that it's a design compromise...it isn't anywhere near as fast as those boats either but you know what? i'm not about to hang up my sea kayak and just paddle a ski for a few years to get the inner gyroscopic workings of a cirque du soleil performer / elite surf ski racer so this is perfect, thanks very much! you hop on and just crank out some miles, fast as hell!

if i were to have only 1 other hull besides my beloved explorers....this might be it. i was utterly impressed with and blown away by this ski and am really looking forward to catching some more runs on it over the summer!

just a great night on the river!

great night on the river. was most impressed with the EPIC V8 - wow! what a ski!!

i don't have huge experience with ski's but seems like a real game changer! for the first time on a ski, i just hopped on and went! and went fast! you don't have to spend years learning how to get your seat; it's stable! consequently, you can concentrate on your stroke and just go fast! it has none of the twitchiness of the v10 and other ski's. i understand that it's a design compromise...it isn't anywhere near as fast as those boats either but you know what? i'm not about to hang up my sea kayak and just paddle a ski for a few years to get the inner gyroscopic workings of a cirque du soleil performer / elite surf ski racer so this is perfect, thanks very much! you hop on and just crank out some miles, fast as hell!

if i were to have only 1 other hull besides my beloved explorers....this might be it. i was utterly impressed with and blown away by this ski and am really looking forward to catching some more runs on it over the summer!

just a great night on the river!

Rick,

Why the V8 if you don’t intend to switch to surf skiing? You can get the same high-speed thrills with the Epic 18X, which is a true sea kayak. The V8 surf ski shares the hull with the Epic 18X Sport, which is actually a little wider at the waterline and not as fast as the 18X. And you don’t need sun screen for your legs with the 18X. Plus you can roll it, use thigh braces and/or knees-up paddling, store enough gear for a trip around Australia and retain most of the other advantages of your Explorer.

Leon

Rick,

Why the V8 if you don’t intend to switch to surf skiing? You can get the same high-speed thrills with the Epic 18X, which is a true sea kayak. The V8 surf ski shares the hull with the Epic 18X Sport, which is actually a little wider at the waterline and not as fast as the 18X. And you don’t need sun screen for your legs with the 18X. Plus you can roll it, use thigh braces and/or knees-up paddling, store enough gear for a trip around Australia and retain most of the other advantages of your Explorer.

Leon

why would i switch? can't i love both? i have no intention of hanging the explorer in the barn and not paddling her....on the other hand, if i just wanna go out and burn off 10 miles or so, i think the v8 is a perfect for that. for day trip pack on miles days only i think it's a hell of a boat.

a "racing" ski like the v10 takes more time to get comfortable on than i am willing to invest.

i think i saw that the hulls were identical but couldn't bring myself to buy a sea kayak like that...i don't think i'd be anywhere near as careful with it as it deserves/requires and with a 'ski i think it's different...it's an entirely different animal. besides, that bucket is super comfy on the ski.

why would i switch? can't i love both? i have no intention of hanging the explorer in the barn and not paddling her....on the other hand, if i just wanna go out and burn off 10 miles or so, i think the v8 is a perfect for that. for day trip pack on miles days only i think it's a hell of a boat.

a "racing" ski like the v10 takes more time to get comfortable on than i am willing to invest.

i think i saw that the hulls were identical but couldn't bring myself to buy a sea kayak like that...i don't think i'd be anywhere near as careful with it as it deserves/requires and with a 'ski i think it's different...it's an entirely different animal. besides, that bucket is super comfy on the ski.

I wasn’t suggesting switching an Explorer for an 18X. The 18X just isn’t very suitable for rock play, rescue practice and a lot of other things you do in your Explorer. Instead, I meant that the 18X might be similar enough to the V8 for that switch. But, I agree, the 18X doesn’t have the feel of a surf ski. And, the openness of a ski with its under hull rudder may tip the scales towards the V8. Nevertheless, based on personal experience racing my 18X against V8 skis, the 18X appears to be just as fast and it’s easier to handle in rough water.

As an aside, I’ve heard that many in the surf ski crowd are unable to roll a kayak. To them, a big advantage of the surf ski over a racing sea kayak is that if a wet exit is done re-entry is possible by simply climbing back onto the ski and continuing paddling without first having to drain the boat of water. That’s true, but of little advantage to someone who has a reliable combat roll which is even faster.

I wasn’t suggesting switching an Explorer for an 18X. The 18X just isn’t very suitable for rock play, rescue practice and a lot of other things you do in your Explorer. Instead, I meant that the 18X might be similar enough to the V8 for that switch. But, I agree, the 18X doesn’t have the feel of a surf ski. And, the openness of a ski with its under hull rudder may tip the scales towards the V8. Nevertheless, based on personal experience racing my 18X against V8 skis, the 18X appears to be just as fast and it’s easier to handle in rough water.

As an aside, I’ve heard that many in the surf ski crowd are unable to roll a kayak. To them, a big advantage of the surf ski over a racing sea kayak is that if a wet exit is done re-entry is possible by simply climbing back onto the ski and continuing paddling without first having to drain the boat of water. That’s true, but of little advantage to someone who has a reliable combat roll which is even faster.

hi leon

i understood you on the v8 vs 18x thing...believe me, replacing the explorer with anything never crossed my mind!

for me, the v8 is just such a different animal that even i, in my enthusiasm for various things (read "stupid") would never confuse the 'ski for a kayak whilst paddling it...and i might be too tempted to do that in an 18x - i have an adrenalin condition and would likely just bring that boat where it totally ought not be and i suspect i might be more hesitant to do that in that 'ski.

in any event, i loved it and can't wait to hop back on!

Went out again last night.

This thing is going to rock it's division in the Blackburn!

Hopefully by Rick Stoehrer. Personally, I'll be perched on the Dog Bar waiting to capture the "epic" event in pixels.

Hopefully by Rick Stoehrer. Personally, I'll be perched on the Dog Bar waiting to capture the "epic" event in pixels.

i'm fast by sea kayaker standards but run a far cry from the pace surfski whacko's set...nope, someone faster than me will be paddling it.

i'm fast by sea kayaker standards but run a far cry from the pace surfski whacko's set...nope, someone faster than me will be paddling it.

Rick,

The V8 is classified as a “Fast Sea Kayak” by the Blackburn Challenge folks. All three of them that entered last year beat me. So why not compete yourself; you could make it an even four?

Training hint: Gradually work up to a fast 20-miler and do lots of interval sprints. You're welcome to join the weekly Leon/Lisa circumnavigations of Cape Ann.

Leon

Rick,

The V8 is classified as a “Fast Sea Kayak” by the Blackburn Challenge folks. All three of them that entered last year beat me. So why not compete yourself; you could make it an even four?

Training hint: Gradually work up to a fast 20-miler and do lots of interval sprints. You're welcome to join the weekly Leon/Lisa circumnavigations of Cape Ann.

Leon

leon -

actually i am thinking i just might paddle the blackburn this year...will still get beat cause i know who else is going to be paddling one and like as not, ain't going to be faster'n him...the bastard! what day do you guys do the circumnav?

leon -

actually i am thinking i just might paddle the blackburn this year...will still get beat cause i know who else is going to be paddling one and like as not, ain't going to be faster'n him...the bastard! what day do you guys do the circumnav?

It varies, usually Tues. or Thur. Almost never on a Friday. Sometimes we do our distance elsewhere, like Manchester to Nahant and back (about 24 miles) ... but we stop for lunch early in the season or the very long ones like the Nahant run.

It varies, usually Tues. or Thur. Almost never on a Friday. Sometimes we do our distance elsewhere, like Manchester to Nahant and back (about 24 miles) ... but we stop for lunch early in the season or the very long ones like the Nahant run.

miles for me are limited to what can get done after work or on a weekend...that whole "stop for lunch" thing tells me we're on different schedules. have fun!

miles for me are limited to what can get done after work or on a weekend...that whole "stop for lunch" thing tells me we're on different schedules. have fun!

I can do weekends sometimes. Lisa, probably not. Let's keep in touch.

You got to figure 4 hours for safety for a Cape Ann circum. So a late afternoon start is too late.

Gotta go now, my kayak is waiting.

PS

May 19, 8AM –1PM, will be the Essex River Race (http://www.blackburnchallenge.com/Essex.html). This is a good opportunity for anyone who’d like to race to give it a try on a short course (about 6 miles). The Cape Ann Rowing Club (CARC) organizes the race, the same folks that run the Blackburn Challenge. Some of the fastest paddlers on the East Coast come to this race.