Rack systems using factory rails

jtmllr

What are the opinions on using factory rails (not crossbars) as a base for mounting rack feet vs. attaching feet to the roof? I haven't measured the spread the rails provide but for this conversation assume it isn't an issue. My concern is that the rails aren't tough enough to support the weight and wobbling of two sea kayaks over time as the feet are suspended when attached to rails. Thule makes feet that attach where the factory rails would and that sounds like a nice setup - the problem is one of the cars I'm considering will come with rails at the trim level I'm after so I'd have to make a point to work out having the dealer remove them before I took delivery. If the factory stuff is garbage (Subaru in this case) I'd make the effort to get rid of the rails but if they are perfectly OK I'd happily ignore this detail.

What are the opinions on using factory rails (not crossbars) as a base for mounting rack feet vs. attaching feet to the roof? I haven't measured the spread the rails provide but for this conversation assume it isn't an issue. My concern is that the rails aren't tough enough to support the weight and wobbling of two sea kayaks over time as the feet are suspended when attached to rails. Thule makes feet that attach where the factory rails would and that sounds like a nice setup - the problem is one of the cars I'm considering will come with rails at the trim level I'm after so I'd have to make a point to work out having the dealer remove them before I took delivery. If the factory stuff is garbage (Subaru in this case) I'd make the effort to get rid of the rails but if they are perfectly OK I'd happily ignore this detail.

Jeff, I've used the factory rails on both a Ford Winstar and a Saturn Vue for one kayak and can't remember if I ever had two on them. My understanding is that most factory mounted rail systems and their cross bars are good to about 200lbs, but as you know there is no set standards and they probably do vary a bit. I bought Thules adapters that clamp around the vehicles own rack then with the Thule bar going across did carry two boats in that configuration and didn't have any problems.

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-450-crossroad.asp

~Scott

Hey Jeff,

Thule carries a new Aero crossbar that is supposed to be very quiet. Your factory side rails are most likely fine. When you start using factory crossbars, it can get iffy. The following link is on my list for for the spring. I already have the foot packs to attach them to the side rails but this is what I'd suggest for your needs. Also, this is a good company to deal with good pricing, availability and shipping. They also have a store in Framingham.

AERO CROSS BARS:

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-arb43-43-inch-aeroblade-load-bars.asp

FOOT PACKS:

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-450r-rapid-crossroad.asp?item_type=2

Call me if you have any questions or concerns.

Doug

post-100651-0-06231300-1325543528_thumb.

post-100651-0-79197500-1325543902_thumb.

That's good news. I'll have enough to haggle about without trying to get them to remove parts and I'm not interested in peeling back the roof liner on a new car to remove them myself. I would use Thule cross bars even if the car came with cross bars. I remember people discussing this topic somewhat but I think the beef was with the factory cross bars that fold back when not in use. Those I wouldn't think are too resilient.

Hey Jeff,

Thule carries a new Aero crossbar that is supposed to be very quiet. Your factory side rails are most likely fine. When you start using factory crossbars, it can get iffy. The following link is on my list for for the spring. I already have the foot packs to attach them to the side rails but this is what I'd suggest for your needs. Also, this is a good company to deal with good pricing, availability and shipping. They also have a store in Framingham.

AERO CROSS BARS:

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-arb43-43-inch-aeroblade-load-bars.asp

FOOT PACKS:

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-450r-rapid-crossroad.asp?item_type=2

Call me if you have any questions or concerns.

Doug

I saw those - my first step in car shopping is seeing what the kayak carrying ability is. I think all my newer attachments would either use the groove in the aero cross bar or would still be able to clamp around it but I need to do inventory to make sure I can still use all my rack stuff. I have adapters that go into the groove and provide a square bar segment to which typical old Thule stuff can clamp too. I'd probably buy another set of Jbars or cradles to leave on the car anyway.

Jeff,

For a year now I have been happy with the factory rails on my Subaru and Thule crossbars in a configuration identical to Doug's description above. I did purchase locking mechanisms as well as a fairing. I was able to install them myslf, but there is a store in Framingham as Doug mentioned that can be a great help. The vehicle is a Subaru Forrester 2010. Next week I will be adding a second vehicle with an identical arrangement. The second vehicle will be a 2012 Impreza Sport Limited 5 door. Both vehicles were selected for the sole purpose of riding under my NDK kayaks.

Warren

As already stated, there is no standard for roof rails, but our experience with a '97 Chevy Tahoe's factory rails plus Yakima feet and crossbars has been good. Caveat is that we usually trailer the kayaks. Counter-caveat (if there is such a thing) is that we have done at least three long road trips on 75-mph Interstate highways through CO, WY, MT, ID, WA, BC, and UT with two sea kayaks on the roof. No problems with this set-up, other than it's a PITA to install the feet-crossbar assembly on the rails.