There's hope for real 'waterproof' electronics

Phil Allen

Fascinating stuff, Phil! Mind you, I will bet my bottom dollar that it will be expensive -- maybe even <very> expensive...

If it proves to be as good as first appearances, then it could do huge good in aviation, for one thing, with wings coated with the stuff in winter. Then again, I wonder how long the treatment will last? If permanent, you could perhaps even coat your vehicle's undersides with it, as a corrosion-preventative? It does sound awesome, doesn't it?

If you follow the link on Wired to the company page, they had some cool examples of Iphones sprayed with the mystery gunk functioning under water for 30 minutes or more. More interesting, they showed videos of things like a plate of steel that had sat in a bucket of sea water for a year without corroding. Nanotech is amazing stuff.

Phil

If you follow the link on Wired to the company page, they had some cool examples of Iphones sprayed with the mystery gunk functioning under water for 30 minutes or more. More interesting, they showed videos of things like a plate of steel that had sat in a bucket of sea water for a year without corroding. Nanotech is amazing stuff.

Phil

I wonder about the connectors for charging the phone....would they remain both conductive and waterproof ?

Very good point, Sal -- perhaps, if this "wonder formula" is as impervious as we are led to believe, then it may be neccessary to leave the two contacts clean. However, keeping those corrosion-free should not be tough with rinsing after use...those of my old 350 Standard Horizon (or whatever it is) are still the cleanest parts of that device.