NSPN Cold Water Workshop

rylevine

NSPN had the cold water workshop yesterday off Pavilion beach in Ipswich. Air and water temps were about 50F, and there was about a off-shore 10kt wind when we got started at 10:00. We had about 20 participants. Suz and Scott led the initial beach briefing in which the conditions of cold shock and hypothermia were reviewed. Suz then demonstrated the safety and repair equipment in her kayak for general paddling, as well as specifically for cold water paddling. She mentioned some excellent tips - eg., placing a dry set of gloves inside the dry suit, chemical warming pads as part of the kit, and having extra hat and gloves at your vehicle. The participants were pretty well prepared with everyone wearing dry suits, fleece undergarments, neoprene head cover, helmets, gloves, and some form of external covering (cags, jackets, and etc). Suz and Scott had extras of these items for people who did not have them.

We started by breaking into three groups of 6-7 each, and taking a swim to experience the cold water with our gear. After launching we moved into the bay for rescue practice, including basic t-rescues. Our group, ably led by Phil, tried variants of the rescue in order to lessen the swimmer's time in the water. This included using the rescuer's hull as a platform to rest on while the boat was being drained. With the assist of an unintended capsize and the tide current pulling the rescuer and swimmer too far away (towards the Ipswich river), we performed a dual tow of the pair back to the put-in. At that point we had lunch, and used the group shelter (tent) for warming up on the beach. That was apparently very successful, so much heat was generated that a puppy decided to join inside - having figured out that his owners were not getting back from their walk to a warm car fast enough! After lunch, we went out for more assisted and self-rescues; and then returned about 3:30 to the put-in. It looked like everyone stayed warm, and had a lot of fun!

I would like to thank Suz and Scott for organizing this important workshop again (the tenth NSPN CWW!), and the group leaders for assisting in the training. I think we can all look forward to an enjoyable and safe winter paddling season.

Bob

Ditto to everything Bob said.

And kudos to Phil, our pod leader, for dealing with unanticipated problems in a thoroughly professional way.

And, yes, in addition to chemical warmers and dry gloves inside the dry suit, stashing a squirming warm puppy in your gear for quick off the water warmings is one thing that we thought of that Suz and Scott hadn't in their otherwise completely comprehensive briefing!

pru

I would like to thank Suz and Scott for organizing this important workshop again (the tenth NSPN CWW!), and the group leaders for assisting in the training. I think we can all look forward to an enjoyable and safe winter paddling season.

Bob

You are welcome. The workshop had 22 people in attendance, a few last minute cancellations came in the day before. I think we had an almost equal number of participants/volunteers. It is the only way an event like this can take place. Thanks to all for the help!

Suz

I would also like to extend my thanks to Suz and Scott for coordinating this event, and also to all the volunteers that were there to assist those of us that are (were?) less familiar with cold water paddling. The collective wealth of knowledge in attendance was amazing, and the time spent by the more experienced members of the group coaching us newbies both on shore and on the water was very much appreciated. My personal goals for the day were first to have some fun, and second to experience for the first time immersion in a cold water situation under some well controlled conditions. Mission accomplished on both accounts, largely due to your efforts. Although for now I'll continue to paddle cold water very conservatively, I have much more confidence in my ability to prepare for and deal with it.

Thanks again!

Okay, somebody please tell me that the owners of the pup did come back and were properly embarrassed to leave that pup on his/her own... :headBang:

Owners? Why, we brought the puppy along as an organic warming device - better than those chemical things Suz was trying to sell us on. He was in my hatch the whole day...well, except when we took him out to warm us up in the shelter on the beach...

pru

Okay, somebody please tell me that the owners of the pup did come back and were properly embarrassed to leave that pup on his/her own... :headBang:

Pru's humor aside (which I quite enjoy), the owners were right outside the "igloo" on the beach. We had to convince them it was OK for the pup to join us.

Phil