Muscongus Bay - Current Flow

A couple of NSPN paddlers are planning a kayak camping trip in Muscongus Bay on 10/7 thru 10/9 and hope to circumnavigate both Bremen Long Island as well as Hungry Island. Dorcas Miller, in his guide book for the Maine coast states there is stong current flow in Flying Passage as well as Mockomock Channel. Since the phases of the moon are favorable on 10/7 and 10/8, the range is still approximately 8ft. I am predicting a current flow during peak flood of 2 to 3 knots and would hope to find back eddies on the west coast of Bremen Long Island if the circumnavigation effort encounters current flow of this speed. Although every effort will be made to complete the circumnavigation effort with the current in our favor, it might be enjoyable to calculate a solution using the eddy structure in both the Passage and the Channel.

Does anyone have experience paddling this area, and are my predictions reasonable? Having never paddled this bay, I am hoping for a reality check.

Warren

Hi Warren,

I'm guessing that the current speeds you are guestimating are too high, as the NOAA predictions are for weak and variable currents. That said, I can see that currents at the squeeze points might be worse and several trip reports on the web indicate current to deal with. If I look at the tide chart, I see a high of ~9 feet for 10/8 and 10/9 at 9:15 and 10am (forecast for Muscungus Harbor). Why not plan your trip so that the you travel the narrower channel off of Medomak at ~9-10am, when currents would be weakest? I'm not sure where you're launching from (and I'm working from google maps, not the chart) but going North with the end of the flood would mean that any ebb would be working with you as you got to the middle or late part of the day and were heading south. Sorry if this is obvious and not helpful.

Phil

Phil,

Your comments are helpful and yes most of the trip is planned to work with the current not against the flow. Since we will be launching from Broad Cove Marine we will ride the current down to our camp site and when we return on Sunday we can ride the current back to Broad Cove. I do, however, have a facination for current flow having worked with it under the bridge at Seabrook and in Lower Hell's Gate. I do see an opportunity to learn more in the Flying Passage and yet I want to be respectful of any risks. I also see an opportunity to work with back eddies which I lack in experience. In studying the shore line of Bremen Long Island, I suspect back eddies may be present!

Warren

[muscongus bay is a beautiful place to paddle. I have never put in at broad cove, instead opting to head to Friendship... Paddle off in the direction of Gay to Caldwell and down the island chain to Allen. I have paddled in the medomak river and don't recall much in so far as currents, but it may have been the day and the tide.... Anyway i thought if you hadn't seen this write up i would post it....http://www.paddling.net/places/printReport.html?481.lots of lovely islands and ledges. This is a notorious week end for the fall migration for peregrines and the little birds they like to eat. Keep your eyes open.

quote name=Warren' timestamp='1317313469' post='47282]

Phil,

Your comments are helpful and yes most of the trip is planned to work with the current not against the flow. Since we will be launching from Broad Cove Marine we will ride the current down to our camp site and when we return on Sunday we can ride the current back to Broad Cove. I do, however, have a facination for current flow having worked with it under the bridge at Seabrook and in Lower Hell's Gate. I do see an opportunity to learn more in the Flying Passage and yet I want to be respectful of any risks. I also see an opportunity to work with back eddies which I lack in experience. In studying the shore line of Bremen Long Island, I suspect back eddies may be present!

Warren

[/q

I've been paddling Muscongus Bay some part of every summer for over a decade. Unless there is a strong river flow enhancing it, the tidal current around Bremen is not fast. Your estimates are high if anything. Nearby at Havener Ledge one can find current strong enough to play in. When river current is running against tide there can be fun bumpy seas at the mouth of the Medomak. There is a sizable Harbor Seal colony at lower tide states on the ledges between Cow and Jim's.

Muscongus is my favorite paddling spot. Enjoy!

-Jim

A couple of NSPN paddlers are planning a kayak camping trip in Muscongus Bay on 10/7 thru 10/9 and hope to circumnavigate both Bremen Long Island as well as Hungry Island. Dorcas Miller, in his guide book for the Maine coast states there is stong current flow in Flying Passage as well as Mockomock Channel. Since the phases of the moon are favorable on 10/7 and 10/8, the range is still approximately 8ft. I am predicting a current flow during peak flood of 2 to 3 knots and would hope to find back eddies on the west coast of Bremen Long Island if the circumnavigation effort encounters current flow of this speed. Although every effort will be made to complete the circumnavigation effort with the current in our favor, it might be enjoyable to calculate a solution using the eddy structure in both the Passage and the Channel.

Does anyone have experience paddling this area, and are my predictions reasonable? Having never paddled this bay, I am hoping for a reality check.

Warren

I've been paddling Muscongus Bay some part of every summer for over a decade. Unless there is a strong river flow enhancing it, the tidal current around Bremen is not fast. Your estimates are high if anything. Nearby at Havener Ledge one can find current strong enough to play in. When river current is running against tide there can be fun bumpy seas at the mouth of the Medomak. There is a sizable Harbor Seal colony at lower tide states on the ledges between Cow and Jim's.

Muscongus is my favorite paddling spot. Enjoy!

Jim,

Thank you for the info on the seal colony. Earlier this summer I was paddling on Casco Bay and spend a long time enjoying the seal colony on Grassy ledge off Upper and Lower Goose. The seal pups would come very close to the boat and study me and I would study them. It was most enjoyable!

Warren

[muscongus bay is a beautiful place to paddle. I have never put in at broad cove, instead opting to head to Friendship... Paddle off in the direction of Gay to Caldwell and down the island chain to Allen. I have paddled in the medomak river and don't recall much in so far as currents, but it may have been the day and the tide.... Anyway i thought if you hadn't seen this write up i would post it....http://www.paddling.net/places/printReport.html?481.lots of lovely islands and ledges. This is a notorious week end for the fall migration for peregrines and the little birds they like to eat. Keep your eyes open.

Beckt,

Thank you for the article. I am very interested in understanding the "cautions" for new areas and this article is very helpful. Thank you also for the info on the peregrines. I remember in years past watching the raptors migrate thru Plum Island as they followed the larger migrations and feeding on the weaker members. I will keep my eyes open!

Warren