Winnipesaukee and Eagles

EEL

Seems time to report on lake paddling.

I went out for a morning of 10NMs yesterday on Winnipesaukee as now the lake is nice and quiet.

The only problem with lake paddling involves the lack of any water texture so staying close to shore of islands guarantees a few rock collisions and the rocks are not smooth.

Anyway, there are many islands to wander about, and if you go out to the Camp and Fish cluster of islands you are almost certainly see Bald Eagles and Osprey up close. With luck you will see them squabbling over a fish.

Still a few weeks from decent leaf color when the lakes will be at their prime for paddling.

Water nice and warm for rolling or whatever.

Ed Lawson

Ed,

Good to hear there are eagles in the Winnipesaukee islands. Heading up to Squam Lake this weekend to camp on Bowman. Spotting an eagle would be a bonus! Ed, have you seen any around Squam Lake? Also, heading up to Muscongus Bay in a couple weeks. Word has it a pair of bald eagles have been attempting to nest on the Crotch Islands. Planning a serious search of Muscongus Bay for the eagles!

Warren

Ed, have you seen any around Squam Lake?

Warren:

Yes, I go out to Little Loon two or three times a season to observe them.

This time of year they are usually not near the nest, but will be hanging out on nearby islands.

There are clusters of small islands south and east of the nest and you will often find them sitting near the tops of trees on those islands. Not super easy to spot them this time of year. They wander around quite a bit. There are Osprey around Squam too.

I have never seen an Eagle when out and about on Muscongus Bay. I know someone who is on first name basis, essentially, with the Eagles in Maine. I will ask about Muscongus Bay. Often see Eagles in the Sheepscott River south of Bartlett I. and between Cundy's Harbor and Orr's Island in Casco. Nice places to paddle.

Ed Lawson