Skeg repair question

Michael_Crouse

So I finally got my sister into a great boat at a great price, but the skeg won't deploy!

It's an old Impex Mystic (old fiberglass hatches) and the skeg control moves but the skeg won't lower. I can pull the skeg down by hand and then the control will raise it, but it won't lower it again.

I know I'm going to have to take it apart but what should I expect? Kinked cable?

So I finally got my sister into a great boat at a great price, but the skeg won't deploy!

It's an old Impex Mystic (old fiberglass hatches) and the skeg control moves but the skeg won't lower. I can pull the skeg down by hand and then the control will raise it, but it won't lower it again.

I know I'm going to have to take it apart but what should I expect? Kinked cable?

I had one that was just rusted and corroded. Never know...

There may just be crystallized salt in the cable housing. The first thing I would do would be to run warm water through the skeg system to see if that frees the cable.

The end of the outer cable housing may have come loose @ the skeg box. As I remember for that boat Impex simply glassed the outer housing to the skeg box.

If you find that the hatches leak their could be 2 reasons (maybe more). The inside of the hatches were not smooth so did not seal well to the gasket. Sand them until they are smooth where the gasket touches the hatch. Another problem maybe that the gasket ends have separated from each other. They can be glued back together.

Great boat by the way...enjoy!