Rye Harbor to Jenness Beach

Doug

Three of us headed out of Rye Harbor Saturday to enjoy some surf play at Jenness. We met up with Sal, Blain & Bill (on his sit-on-top rocket ship) at Jenness. What was expected to be 3+ foot waves turned out to be 6+ feet. Due to the wave size, sea kayakers could catch the big ones way outside the surfer zone to claim a wave. Directing your boat where you wanted it to go was a skill you had to possess to avoid collisions with surfers as you were jettisoned forward. (My GPS recorded my highest speed at 16.8mh). Getting out of the wave before it broke was the next task so you wouldn't take out swimmers as you bounced your way to shore on a turbulent wild bongo ride. I've never seen so many surfers and SUP boarders. Being moderately careful, I still managed to get pierced by a surfer as I bailed out of a wave. We decided to call it quits at that point. Scott and I left the others and paddled back to Rye Harbor. As we hugged the edges, we became appreciative of what mother nature served up to us this day. Scott and I chilled along the Rye Harbor break wall and bobbled in the movement of the sea as seen in clips 2 & 3 to follow.

Another adventure behind us. The memories will be etched in my mind forever.

This is the best time of year to paddle.

Doug

This clip shows Bill Harter on his sit-on-top on a medium size 4+ footer...

Below, picture of me taken by Scott Kimbal. Pic of Scott taken by me.

post-100651-0-34404300-1315148695_thumb.

post-100651-0-52948400-1315262833_thumb.

Thanks Rene, I never read this breakdown in the surf zone by the Tsunami Rangers and found it quite interesting.

They have written a few other briefs that I have experimented with when rock gardening as the link below depicts. Most of the conditions they play in are well beyond what we normally seek out but on a smaller scale the information is quite helpful.

Having a plan in advance can keep you safe. As always, knowledge and practice are the best tools to advance your skills but be sure you have others close by to assist should things get out of control. A world of s**t can happen in the blink of an eye when waves or swells interact with rocks.

It makes good reading from the most extreme band of loonies (affectionately speaking) out there that take sea kayaking to the extreme.

Doug

http://tsunamirangers.com/2011/04/11/between-a-rock-and-a-hard-wave/

It really was an impressive day with many parts to it. Biggest waves I have ever attempted to surf, my first roll in big stuff, the only ride I took all the way in with a bongo ride as Doug spoke was followed by a bail out so I didn't become a fiberglass snow plow to the throngs in the shallows followed by three attempts before I was successful at punching my way out past the breaking surf zone from the beach. Yes it was some testosterone paddling, but in no way would I put it at a higher or more important level then the chilling out and just taking in the ocean itself as Doug and I did on our slow-mo paddle back to Rye Harbor. Listening to the thousands of rounded polished stones doing their percussion work with each wave truly was music to the ears. ~Scott

Sorry, couldn't get pictures to take. Too big apparently.