Possible landings between Lanes & Pigeon Coves?

dsigall

Wondering if there is a place to land (or bale if need be) between Lanes Cove & Pigeon Cove. I know that most of the ocean front is private in that area but has anyone found that a short stop in Folly Cove or Hoop Pole Cove is tolerated? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dana

Wondering if there is a place to land (or bale if need be) between Lanes Cove & Pigeon Cove. I know that most of the ocean front is private in that area but has anyone found that a short stop in Folly Cove or Hoop Pole Cove is tolerated? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dana

You can land in Folly Cove with no problem. Paddle all the way in to the "beach" right next to the road (Rt. 127/Washington St). Lots of divers use that public landing to get on the water. There is a tiny parking area. Depending on the tide, you will be on sand with round boulders or lots of rocks with seaweed. (The Lobster Pool restaurant does not have a dock to land at.)

Hoop Pole Cove is a totally different story. A successful lawsuit to cut off public access across his rocks, thus interrupting the "Atlantic Path" people had been using for over 100 years. I suspect he would frown on visitors. Also there is nothing resembling a beach there. The remainder of the coastline is rocks, with some spots to get in depending on the tide.

Any port in a storm still applies. If you are in trouble, land wherever you can, safely, and ask for help. Liz