Securing boats on the rack

Suz

Saw this on facebook:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/126401238.html

Just got back from Maine for the weekend and both directions we saw people with boats insecurely tied down. One car was with two big wide Loons who went past us. A few miles down the road they were pulled over resecuring the boats.

My rule is to NEVER ride behind someone with kayaks on the car.

Suz

And test your straps.

I was amazed the other day when the Malone strap, which I had been using for a few months to secure a tarp over my boat, basically crumbled in my hands. Sure, it was faded red from sun exposure, but the way it broke in two from a light tug was a shock.

So if you have old straps, give them a good stress test, or better yet get some fresh ones.

"b hogan", "b hogan"...I wonder who this could be? Hogan...no, I don't seem to recognize this name; but...wait! Something stirs in the depths of the memory...could it be...no, no, I don't think so...

(Buddy, how the devil are you, mate?)

Scott Camlin has always warned about checking and exchanging straps from season to season and Buddy seems to have found proof of this need.

And test your straps.

I was amazed the other day when the Malone strap, which I had been using for a few months to secure a tarp over my boat, basically crumbled in my hands. Sure, it was faded red from sun exposure, but the way it broke in two from a light tug was a shock.

.......My new RED MALONE STRAPS failed within a few months of exposure too. Clearly a defective batch.

Ern

And test your straps.

.......My new RED MALONE STRAPS failed within a few months of exposure too. Clearly a defective batch.

Ern

I've always gotten great straps from http://www.strapworks.com/.

As for testing straps -- after tying things down, I always wiggle the stern of the boats quite vigorously back and forth to make sure I have tightened things and, I guess, to see if a strap is ready to break. Whether that tests things as well as a stiff sidewind at 65 mph is questionable, of course, but it makes me feel a bit better. ;-))