Kayak Camping

I am interested in creating a dialogue with other paddlers who have an interest in kayak camping off the coast of Maine. I am new to sea kayaking and kayak camping. Since April, I have focused on developing my paddling/safety/rescue skills so I would have a level of comfort paddling to camping sites.

I have begun scouting out MITA sites and am drawn to those sites that create a feeling of solitude. Therefore, I prefer East Gosling in Casco Bay versus West Gosling. I would value any suggestions on places to consider as I continue my explorations. Although I am preparing myself to complete solo trips, I do see the value in finding another like minded paddler to provide an added level of safety for each other. Although I have focused exclusively on the MITA 2011 Guide to date, I am open to considering any other reference guides.

I can also be reached via; miwp at wdhospital dot com.

Warren

I like the Stonington (Deer Isle) area for this purpose. The launch is easy and well-protected. There are many islands so it's easy to hop from protected water to protected water on your way to a campsite. You're never very far from land, but there's a sense of solitude. The camp sites are lovely. I think September is a great time to go - less competition for campsites, more solitude. There's enough kayaking to last several days at least. Landings are easy. I can't think of anywhere on the Maine coast that would be a better starting place. But I sure haven't exhausted the possibilities, so maybe someone else will inform us both of other places!

NK

Kate,

Thank you for your posting. I very much enjoyed reading your trip reports, especially the solo trips. Lorrie, gave me the info to buy a sleeping bag mat similar to the one you borrowed from her for your Bay of Fundy trip. You are correct that it gives a great night sleep. Your meal selection as noted on that trip inspired me to learn more so I purchased a book for backpackers and have found the recipes to be nutritious, delicious and easy for kayak camping trips. This week I completed my training on how to use a GPS so I can navigate in fog more safely as you discovered in the Bay of Fundy. Although I have spent a great deal of time learning how to be a safe paddler, I may never feel the adreneline rush of surfing the big ones at Popham. I do, however, feel great joy when I arrive on a secluded island. Now I just need to find them.

Warren

I am interested in creating a dialogue with other paddlers who have an interest in kayak camping off the coast of Maine. I am new to sea kayaking and kayak camping. Since April, I have focused on developing my paddling/safety/rescue skills so I would have a level of comfort paddling to camping sites.

I have begun scouting out MITA sites and am drawn to those sites that create a feeling of solitude. Therefore, I prefer East Gosling in Casco Bay versus West Gosling. I would value any suggestions on places to consider as I continue my explorations. Although I am preparing myself to complete solo trips, I do see the value in finding another like minded paddler to provide an added level of safety for each other. Although I have focused exclusively on the MITA 2011 Guide to date, I am open to considering any other reference guides.

I can also be reached via; miwp at wdhospital dot com.

Warren

Muscongus is a great place to paddle as you have access to both protected waters and more exposed. I really love paddling the length of Pemaquid Neck. Black is a great place to camp. Thief is an option but the little voles drive me crazy. They are all over the tent sites. This site also have a picnic table which is unusual for a MITA island. I think the concentrated area for eating promotes the abundance of the voles. I started carrying big plastic jars of cayenne pepper and ring the tent with it. They seem to dislike crossing the red line.

Warren,

I assume you have the MITA handbook, which is an invaluable resource for camping along the Maine coast. Planning any Maine coast camping trip without this guide is hard to imagine. The guide is almost essential for finding some choice islands, many of which which are too small to be named on your charts. From Portland all the way to Machias there are island campsites a day apart.

The numerous peninsulas and points jutting southward : (Cape Small, Damariscove, Pemaquid, Islesoro, Isle au Haut, Schoodic etc.) are areas of caution. In between these peninsulas are semi protected (or not entirely exposed) bays that are natural areas to plan camping trips : Casco Bay, Boothbay, Muscongus Bay, Stonington archipelago, Blue Hill Bay and Mount Desert, etc.

Kate,

Thank you for your posting. I very much enjoyed reading your trip reports, especially the solo trips. Lorrie, gave me the info to buy a sleeping bag mat similar to the one you borrowed from her for your Bay of Fundy trip. You are correct that it gives a great night sleep. Your meal selection as noted on that trip inspired me to learn more so I purchased a book for backpackers and have found the recipes to be nutritious, delicious and easy for kayak camping trips. This week I completed my training on how to use a GPS so I can navigate in fog more safely as you discovered in the Bay of Fundy. Although I have spent a great deal of time learning how to be a safe paddler, I may never feel the adreneline rush of surfing the big ones at Popham. I do, however, feel great joy when I arrive on a secluded island. Now I just need to find them.

Warren

I'm so pleased that you have found my reports to be useful! You are much more thorough than I - it seems that I must learn by making mistakes rather than heeding the suggestions of others. It sounds like you are well-prepared to explore out there. You'll have a wonderful time! Can't wait to read - and learn from - YOUR reports!

kate

Along with the MITA book, this book by Dorcus Miller is quite useful for tripping in Maine. It is more an info resource than a guidebook in the traditional sense.

http://www.amazon.com/Kayaking-Maine-Coast-Paddlers-Cobscook/dp/0881507059/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

In addition to MITA there are other organizations in Maine which own islands and allow day visits and camping on them, but they do not make an effort to advertize their availability.

Ed Lawson

Thank you for all the great ideas and comments.

Rene - As August gets closer, please contact me with some dates that are good for you for a camping trip. I would like that very much!

Ed - I signed onto Amazon this morning and the book you suggested is on it's way to me. Thank you for the recommendation and have a great trip on Friday!

Peter - Thank you for the suggestions, I will study my MITA Guide Book and find the islands that I seek. On my next trip to Boothbay, I want to visit Little Ram. I also want to visit Little Birch when I am back on Casco Bay. Both islands sound secluded. Have a great trip tomorrow!

Suz - My meal prep skills are improving. Over the weekend I tried four more meals. If you end up buying the book we spoke about, I would value your experiences and comments.

Kate - I do hope you are planning another trip this year and will post the trip report. I so very much enjoy reading them! By the way, I did buy the waterproof camera you suggested and now I just need the skill to use it.

Warren

My new discovery for camping meals comes from Trader Joe's. They sell these already cooked meals in pouches that need to be boiled for 5 minutes. For ocean camping - the boiling water could just as well be ocean water and that helps saving on water supplies.

For my use I used a rice cooker at home to make two large tupperware container full of rice. Took the packets and rice with me in a kayak, boiled the packet in ocean water and then poured it over the rice. The meal was delicious. It appears that what my Trader Joe's currently has for flavors are Thai and Indian dishes.

Kate - I am heading to Mingan next week. Your report was my primary information for the trip planning. :-) Thank You.

Thank you for all the great ideas and comments.

Rene - As August gets closer, please contact me with some dates that are good for you for a camping trip. I would like that very much!

Ed - I signed onto Amazon this morning and the book you suggested is on it's way to me. Thank you for the recommendation and have a great trip on Friday!

Peter - Thank you for the suggestions, I will study my MITA Guide Book and find the islands that I seek. On my next trip to Boothbay, I want to visit Little Ram. I also want to visit Little Birch when I am back on Casco Bay. Both islands sound secluded. Have a great trip tomorrow!

Suz - My meal prep skills are improving. Over the weekend I tried four more meals. If you end up buying the book we spoke about, I would value your experiences and comments.

Kate - I do hope you are planning another trip this year and will post the trip report. I so very much enjoy reading them! By the way, I did buy the waterproof camera you suggested and now I just need the skill to use it.

Warren

My new discovery for camping meals comes from Trader Joe's. They sell these already cooked meals in pouches that need to be boiled for 5 minutes. For ocean camping - the boiling water could just as well be ocean water and that helps saving on water supplies.

For my use I used a rice cooker at home to make two large tupperware container full of rice. Took the packets and rice with me in a kayak, boiled the packet in ocean water and then poured it over the rice. The meal was delicious. It appears that what my Trader Joe's currently has for flavors are Thai and Indian dishes.

Kate - I am heading to Mingan next week. Your report was my primary information for the trip planning. :-) Thank You.

I've used those Trader Joe's pouches and used sea water for the boiling. Worked fine!

You are going to Mingan! Can't wait to hear from you when you get back! Hope you can fit in a stop along the Saguenay area of the St Lawrence to see all the whales, too...

k

My tentative route is: Saquenay-Mingan-Anticosti-Gaspe

I've used those Trader Joe's pouches and used sea water for the boiling. Worked fine!

You are going to Mingan! Can't wait to hear from you when you get back! Hope you can fit in a stop along the Saguenay area of the St Lawrence to see all the whales, too...

k