Muscle Ridge

tyson

The first question was, can we go kayak camping in an Anas Acuta and a Tahe Greenland. Both would be considered low volume boats. I know some folks know how to do this, the question was, could _we_ do it. Since we had recently downsized a few larger bits of gear for ultralight backpacking on account of my bad knee, we were able to fit everything in the hatches.

After driving to Brunswick Friday evening after work, Emilie and I launched from a private marina or sorts on Spruce Head Island. The good news is that both boats floated! I took a WAG at a heading to our first island were we planned to camp and unload the boats before touring. When my compass didn't seem to match up well we settled for ignoring the compass and going for a can we could see. ...and then proceeded from there. A short while later we arrived at our first stop. The Osprey was gone for the season, but the gulls were quite "excited" to see us. It was a tiny island that took some imagination to find where to put a tent. After unloading and setting up camp, we headed out for a tour that took us down the outside of Muscle Ridge to Two Bush Island. All rocks and bumps were given their due attention during the paddle. We returned on the inside via the gap between Graffam and Bar islands and the ship wreck (looks to be little more than a keel now) in the main inside harbor on Hewett Island.

When we returned we found an other couple from SMSKN wondering if we were planning to stay, how long had we been squatting and how much longer would we squat? ...well, not quite like that. We offered that they were welcome to join us. There was more than one spot that one might imagine a tent spot. Soon an evening fog formed that ebbed a flowed a bit.

After dinner, we suited up again and went out for an evening paddle. The fog had cleared and the clouds were thinning, though it was close to a new moon, so no help there. We went out around Dix and Birch Islands. During the return the clouds started to break and a few stars were visible. Since it was dark and we didn't want to pull out our head lamps, we were doing a bit of guessing on the route back. Emilie was the one who spotted the profile/tree-line of the correct island.

I've recently mentioned on this board that I had a new Sony waterproof camera with much better light sensitivity than other pocket cameras. I took some pictures on this round that continue to confirm its superiority to more conventional sensors. Still very happy with the camera. ...still haven't had it long enough for an unconditional endorsement.

That night the stars came out brilliantly! ..and the gulls were kind enough to quiet down and let us sleep in spite of the cute little fluff ball chick that had tried to visit us earlier that evening.

In the morning we decided to pack up and try a different spot. ...for learning and variety as much as anything else. While Saturday's weather had be just about perfect, Sunday called for likely afternoon thunderstorms. That meant we wanted to get to our next camping spot before the weather turned. After a (for us) typical slow start, we eventually hit the water heading north and to the outside of the islands by way of the gap between Andrews Island and Great Pond Island/Camp Island. After playing here and there and turning north, we spotted Crescent Island and just had to head for it. Crescent is quite for formidable rock! The north west side offered some shelter and rocks that could be landed on for an early food break.

While on Crescent, a young seal decided to join our kayaks on the rocks. I took a few pictures and then gently let him know we were there before he spent too much energy hauling out.

Next, we continued north toward Fisherman Island. About half way there Emilie though that she saw some lightning on the western horizon. In hind sight I wonder if it was something else like a tower beacon, but if it was something like that it should have been periodic and seen again. At any rate, we upped the pace a bit to our final destination. After finding the camp site, we setup and put on dry cloths. I think we were off the water by about noon time. The rain never happened until sometime around 9pm and thunderstorms were never seen (other than the one flash Emilie might have seen). We had a relaxing afternoon poking round the end of the island, taking pictures, eating lunch, eating dinner, and fending off the ticks. There was also a nearby fog horn going, but it was just soft and rhythmic enough to allow us to sleep that night.

In the morning the fog was thick. After breakfast and packing we headed launched for our return leg. We followed the outside of the first couple of island and then crossed to the inside. We planned to cross the channel to follow the mainland at a nun that marked the narrowest spot of the channel, figuring that would leave us exposed to traffic in the thick fog for the shortest duration. ...but the fog was so think we couldn't find the buoy that was about 350yds from shore. Trying to use the shape of the shoreline to guess our crossing point, we chose a point to cross and a compass heading to hold. After paddling for a while we came across a marker on a pole which told us our exact location. ...but we couldn't see the island that was 300 yards away. From there we did a combination of following the short and tracking our location on the chart and taking compass headings to cross channels. ...one was a mere 650ft wide, yet the crossing involved going completely out of the sight of any land. We paddled by Ash Point, but never saw Ash Island a few hundred yards away. We stopped at Birch Point Beach for some food. ...nice spot, the fog broke locally as it had done a a few other spots before closing in again.

Our final crossing by compass was about 1 mile with a rock half way across. We hit the rock! Thought winds were nearly on the bow and there was little to no current, so it was an easy task. After that the fog broke for us one more time and we were able to spot our launch point.

Load the cars, fresh lobster and drive home.

Total distance was about 32 miles over 3 days. No records were set. Over all, a great way to spend an 3 day weekend! :)

Cheers!

Ty

Emilie and Tyson:

Neat stuff. Looks and sounds like a great time and a nice introduction to Maine fog. When you see those day marks tilted, as many are, it does make you think.

Ed Lawson

Ea nice introduction to Maine fog.

This was our third Maine kayak camping trip, so this is the third time we've been introduced to Maine fog. ;)

...though this was the thickest I've paddled in. In the past we've done longer crossings but with 1/2 mile visibility or more. With 1/2 mile you can find the buoys!

The lobster buoys are always good for checking the current and maintaining your heading vs. the current.

Cheers!

Ty

Very nice photos, looks like a great place to kayak-camp. Wonderful rock formations! And isn't it amazing how fog can change the paddling day? Everything becomes a mystery, every crossing an event.

thanks for sharing,

Kate

Thanks for posting. Splendid trip report and photos! I especially liked the photos of Emilie trying to put more holes in her hull.

I did a trip with two paddlers in an Anas acuta and a Romany and they had all the stuff they needed and more. It made me think about using more brains and lightweight, compact gear when loading my boat.

Thanks for posting. Splendid trip report and photos! I especially liked the photos of Emilie trying to put more holes in her hull.

I did a trip with two paddlers in an Anas acuta and a Romany and they had all the stuff they needed and more. It made me think about using more brains and lightweight, compact gear when loading my boat.

There weren't that many waves, so I had limited opportunities for hull damage.

I especially liked the photos of Emilie trying to put more holes in her hull.

:kayak-surfer:

It made me think about using more brains and lightweight, compact gear when loading my boat.

...it turns out, that you can add lightness by adding money. Leaving things you don't need behind helps a lot also.

Cheers!

Ty