Filing a float plan yes, but with the Coast Guard?

billvoss

I have a question about the August 2011 issue of Sea Kayaker Magazine article

Safety

Storm Islands Rescue

by Matt Broze

As I understand it, the article says the kayakers had filed a float plan with the Coast Guard. It also suggests that they should have used their VHF radio to update their float plan with the Coast Guard when they decided to change their plans.

It is certainly true that boaters should leave a float plan ashore, ideally with a trusted individual. It is also true that the Coast Guard will want a copy of the float plan if the boater is reported overdue. However, all my Google searches say the Coast Guard does NOT accept float plans until a boater is reported overdue.

Did the Coast Guard accept float plans in the past?

Does it depend on the location? Perhaps the Coast Guard in lightly populated areas accepts float plans?

Is the article just wrong?

Just curious,

Bill

I have a question about the August 2011 issue of Sea Kayaker Magazine article

Safety

Storm Islands Rescue

by Matt Broze

As I understand it, the article says the kayakers had filed a float plan with the Coast Guard. It also suggests that they should have used their VHF radio to update their float plan with the Coast Guard when they decided to change their plans.

It is certainly true that boaters should leave a float plan ashore, ideally with a trusted individual. It is also true that the Coast Guard will want a copy of the float plan if the boater is reported overdue. However, all my Google searches say the Coast Guard does NOT accept float plans until a boater is reported overdue.

Did the Coast Guard accept float plans in the past?

Does it depend on the location? Perhaps the Coast Guard in lightly populated areas accepts float plans?

Is the article just wrong?

Just curious,

Bill

When doing night nav I have called the CG, they were happy to know what was going on and requested that we call again once we were off the water. For normal trips I don't think that they would have wanted the call.

-Jason