Paddling with muscle strains?

casousa81

About two weeks ago I strained an intercostal in my right chest while coughing. Well, my month-long upper respiratory woes are gone, but I'm now stuck with a muscle strain that I can't exactly rest effectively... I mean, you can't stop breathing or sneezing, right??

What I'm wondering is if anyone here has effectively paddled with such a muscle issue? I didn't get a chance to paddle all spring due to the continued chest congestion, and now this... My main concerns are shouldering the kayak and rescues, and I'm worried about the fact that intercostal pulls take 4-12 weeks to effectively heal (that could be all summer!!!).

Advice???

~Chris

Since no one has responded with first hand experience, I'd say ask your doctor. I would suggest by starting "small" with gentle marsh paddles, when you do decide you are ready to get out there..., and move to more challenging as you feel ready (after Dr.'s advice, of course).

Since no one has responded with first hand experience, I'd say ask your doctor. I would suggest by starting "small" with gentle marsh paddles, when you do decide you are ready to get out there..., and move to more challenging as you feel ready (after Dr.'s advice, of course).

Thanks Nancy.

Of course I'll be speaking with my doc, but the blanket response is usually not to do anything that bothers it... Once school ends in two weeks, I'll have my days free, and am hoping to get some small paddles in on the Concord. Trips in and around Cape Ann may have to wait a bit. My wife is hoping that we'll do some kayak camping this summer, but I know I'll need to heal before paddling a fully loaded boat.

Those intercostal muscles take a long time to heal, unfortunately. I've had some strains.

As I get older, I'm to the point where if I don't have an ache or pain somewhere, I'll call the ambulance- because I've lost all sensation everywhere.

I think you can try a few things - test the motion, perhaps with a weighted rod while sitting on an exercise ball. That can give you a sense of the pain when you'd be paddling. If it's unbearable, stop. If it's bearable, go overnight or a couple of days without exercise and see if it flares on you. If it doesn't flare, try an easy paddle, then give it a couple of days to flare. If it doesn't flare, you can graduate to more stuff.

I have a sore deltoid which was due to some swimming and early season poor forward stroke mechanics. I alternated a number of different activities to give it time to rest in between sessions and worked on my forward stroke. It's a lot better now, but it was an issue of getting it a few days of rest in between sessions.

Thanks John, I feel that way about my body at this point, and I've barely scraped by 30! I'm going to try the swiss ball/weighted paddle tonight to see how it goes. The chest is definitely feeling better, although still has its days. I was able to winch in the (very large) jib on our sailboat last weekend with minimal pain (although this motion is quite different from paddling). I have a feeling I'll be ready for a light paddle next week, and then we'll go from there. Hoping things will be in good enough shape by the time the July full moon paddle comes along.