CAM-ology

rylevine

It occurred to me during the CAM session that simple rescue rules could be reviewed quickly with the group during the beach briefing. Many assisted rescues require active participation of the swimmer. For example, a very elegant contact tow has the swimmer grabbing the toggles of the rescuer's and swimmer's boats simultaneously for a quick pull out of rocks. Sometimes that can be aided by a regular tow by another paddler on the rescuer's boat after the initial pull out (but still too close to rocks for a T-rescue). This is a great rescue, but if the swimmer does not understand the procedure it is not possible. There are other examples as well: If you are separated from your boat grab the bow or stern of the rescuer's boat as he/she comes in and signals the appropriate time. We will get the boat later or it will be rescued by another paddler.

Sometimes the background noise and general chaos of the situation makes it difficult to communicate these things at the time of the event. Simple few sentences on some of these principles on the beach would also raise everyone's awareness of safety and rescues.

Another question: Is there a universal 'I'm in Trouble!' signal? Is it to raise and swing the paddle? Use the whistle? Should that not be defined during the beach briefing?

Bob

It occurred to me during the CAM session that simple rescue rules could be reviewed quickly with the group during the beach briefing. Many assisted rescues require active participation of the swimmer. For example, a very elegant contact tow has the swimmer grabbing the toggles of the rescuer's and swimmer's boats simultaneously for a quick pull out of rocks. Sometimes that can be aided by a regular tow by another paddler on the rescuer's boat after the initial pull out (but still too close to rocks for a T-rescue). This is a great rescue, but if the swimmer does not understand the procedure it is not possible. There are other examples as well: If you are separated from your boat grab the bow or stern of the rescuer's boat as he/she comes in and signals the appropriate time. We will get the boat later or it will be rescued by another paddler.

Sometimes the background noise and general chaos of the situation makes it difficult to communicate these things at the time of the event. Simple few sentences on some of these principles on the beach would also raise everyone's awareness of safety and rescues.

Another question: Is there a universal 'I'm in Trouble!' signal? Is it to raise and swing the paddle? Use the whistle? Should that not be defined during the beach briefing?

Bob

Bob,

Common "Im in trouble" signals are a simple thumbs down or running your finger across your neck, that slashed throat pantomime.

Going into deep detail re: stuff like rescues during a beach briefing is fine, but keep in mind that a beach briefing should not be too long; traditional wisdom is that if beach briefings run too long ( e.g. 15 minutes) people can get antsy and their eyes glaze over. So, perhaps in a briefing where those kind of rescues are more likely (e.g. a rock gardening trip) covering the details of different rescues would be appropriate. Otherwise a simple check on who- does -and -doesnt- know, who -has-or- hasnt-done rescues , and self rescues ( i.e. who can roll) is fine.