Lorrie's duck(ling?)...

Pintail

I think someone stole your pet, Lorrie -- see today's Good Morning Gloucester blog: there is a great photo of a gull (northern black-backed, if you're wondering) perched at Bass Rocks with what looks suspiciously like your friend!

:rolleyes:

No, no, no! It's a herring gull!

Herring gull, correcto mundo! Excellent job, Mr Godfrey.

Now the species of duck, that's a harder problem. The Yellow-Plumed variants of Surf-Diving Quackaderos are difficult to distinguish under field conditions such as this. I suggest the application of liquid bird-identification enhancements such as several pints of Bass Ale is called for.

Perhaps someone could pick a suitable establishment where we could all assemble, bird books in hand and pockets bulging with disposable simoleons in order to resolve the issue in question...

Ha, another job for Pirate Duckie! Will have to send him in to retrieve the cousin of my yellow devil Duckie :-)

To the new, unfamiliar and uninitiated, this thread may seem a bit cryptic, so, FYI :

Ms. Allen always paddles with a masthead secured to the bow of her boat: the Pirate Ducky, a little black rubber affair , with horns and leering grin.

I believe its a good luck charm.

This kind of thing should not be sneered at: when I was staying in Ginja, Uganda, a newly -built boat was put to water without the traditional blessing ritual, and capsized on its maiden voyage ;17 people drowned in Lake Victoria.

Rob, how about Quackaderus minimus? Or even Quackaderus hazardus?

I have never heard of water being termed "boils", either; but I daresday there's always a first time. I thought boils were an unsightly dermatological affliction (someone in The Canterbury Tales suffered from them -- remember?)

(Oops: I see I'm confusing two different threads here)

PeterB, when were you in Jinja (note the spelling, please, dear boy!), for cryin' out loud? That's my old stamping ground -- well, Kampala, actually...in any case, I meant to write that I think you meant a "figurehead" on Lorrie's boat?

[

PeterB, when were you in Jinja (note the spelling, please, dear boy!), for cryin' out loud? That's my old stamping ground -- well, Kampala, actually...in any case, I meant to write that I think you meant a "figurehead" on Lorrie's boat?

Mr. Godfrey,

(I guess this is a runaway thread at this point; we might as well go with it)

I was in Jinja (sorry for previous spelling) around 2000; spent much time at the Biological station there, and down on the lake with boat builders: R&D for an exhibit on Lake Victoria. I have good memories of my time there, especially the dense papyrus groves at water's edge, the black and white kingfishers, and the wary but endearing expression on the faces of the bats hanging from the rafters of the bio station.

We brought over about a half dozen PFD's as a gift, and they were warmly appreciated by their recipients: it seemed clear that our coxswains could not swim; they probably had been brought up to stay out of the water with its many hazards, chiefly schistosomiasis.

Yes, "figurehead" would be more appropriate.

PeterB, Whilst glad you saw the <pied> kingfisher (I should have written -- they are common), you evidently missed the...giant (yes, there is one), striped, brown-hooded, mangrove, blue-fronted, chocolate-backed, half-collared, malachite, pygmy, dwarf, white-bellied and the shining-blue species of kingfishers? Ach, shame, man... :):)