Economic Impact of MITA

bazzert

Thanks for that.

I'm sure someone's thought of this - but it leads to the interesting concept of extending the trail south, through New Hampshire and into Mass. The logistics might be more difficult because of population and the nature of the terrain, but if people can camp on relatively unpopulated parts of beaches, I suppose it could be managed.

I haven't thought through all the issues - somewhat hairy points like the southern tip of Monomoy, how to handle Buzzard's Bay, etc, but it's intriguing. On the other hand, MITA does have some exposed sections, like Schoodic Head, and the peninsula jutting out toward Petit Manan Is (these are the ones I'm familiar with, there are surely more).

John:

The idea of extending the Maine Island Trail to NH, MA and beyond comes up regularly in MITA circles, including strategy sessions of the Board of Trustees. I can tell you that for the foreseeable future, MITA is committed to developing the Trail within the State of Maine. As America's first water trail, we field inquiries and visits every year from groups interested in starting trails in their own regions. MITA staff provide advice and moral support and would encourage and cooperate with groups wanting to build trails in the rest of New England. So while MITA is willing to provide support, it's up to to paddlers and other boaters in MA, NH and the rest of New England.

One of the challenges in southern New England would be the fact that there are relatively few island and even fewer wild places. In part, this is due to development--on average a lot more densely populated--and partly due to geography--predominantly sandy shores, barrier beaches and low hills. That's true of the southern Maine coast as well, which is why our current initiative to fill in the Trail from Portland to Kittery will be a long process.

Scott

John:

The idea of extending the Maine Island Trail to NH, MA and beyond comes up regularly in MITA circles, including strategy sessions of the Board of Trustees. I can tell you that for the foreseeable future, MITA is committed to developing the Trail within the State of Maine. As America's first water trail, we field inquiries and visits every year from groups interested in starting trails in their own regions. MITA staff provide advice and moral support and would encourage and cooperate with groups wanting to build trails in the rest of New England. So while MITA is willing to provide support, it's up to to paddlers and other boaters in MA, NH and the rest of New England.

One of the challenges in southern New England would be the fact that there are relatively few island and even fewer wild places. In part, this is due to development--on average a lot more densely populated--and partly due to geography--predominantly sandy shores, barrier beaches and low hills. That's true of the southern Maine coast as well, which is why our current initiative to fill in the Trail from Portland to Kittery will be a long process.

Scott

Scott, thanks for the really interesting insight; I'm sure the ground work of building the trail is grueling, requiring the buy in from land owners, regulatory bodies and numerous stake holders.

I think in MA our best option would be a partnership with an organization such as the Trustees of Reservations. They have done an amazing job of preserving and providing access to numerous properties including many we, as paddlers, already know and love eg. Crane Beach and Misery Islands and many coastal properties that would be ideal links in the chain.

Barry.

I'd much rather you keep making the Maine trail better every year and improve the promotion and practicality (camps) of doing the trail in one continuous trip.

Scott, thanks for the really interesting insight; I'm sure the ground work of building the trail is grueling, requiring the buy in from land owners, regulatory bodies and numerous stake holders.

I think in MA our best option would be a partnership with an organization such as the Trustees of Reservations. They have done an amazing job of preserving and providing access to numerous properties including many we, as paddlers, already know and love eg. Crane Beach and Misery Islands and many coastal properties that would be ideal links in the chain.

Barry.