VHF radio use: maydays and pan-pans

VHF radio use is nowhere near as technical as it may seem. Here's one instance: sometimes the Coast Guard needs help locating someone in trouble. You might overhear their request on channel 16. They'll broadcast their request as a pan-pan (pronounced "pon-pon").

Here's an example from Virginia's Hampton Roads area. Listen as the watchstander takes in a mayday from a guy in trouble, then makes a pan-pan call on 16 asking all boaters in the area to look for the guy in trouble.

Mayday to pan-pan:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/audio/24154/vhf_radio_use_from_mayday_to_a_pan.html?cat=16

VHF radio use is nowhere near as technical as it may seem. Here's one instance: sometimes the Coast Guard needs help locating someone in trouble. You might overhear their request on channel 16. They'll broadcast their request as a pan-pan (pronounced "pon-pon").

Here's an example from Virginia's Hampton Roads area. Listen as the watchstander takes in a mayday from a guy in trouble, then makes a pan-pan call on 16 asking all boaters in the area to look for the guy in trouble.

Mayday to pan-pan:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/audio/24154/vhf_radio_use_from_mayday_to_a_pan.html?cat=16

Thanks for these links to the numerous audio logs you continue to provide Brian. I enjoy listening to them. What is apt to transpire after the short audio segment? I speculate: EPIRB has been activated sending a signal to satellite, which is received at USCG along whole East coast? CG continues to maintain radio contact with skipper, perhaps suggesting to switch to channel_____(not 16)? CG broadcasts another pan-pan on 16 to vessels in area (VIA) with EPIRB-generated co-ords? CG waits how long to hear from VIA before dispatching rescue vessel? Anybody know the protocol that would likely be followed in this situation?

gary

I hope no one here ever has to resort to broadcasting a Mayday call; but remember that the word (or Pan, which I have only ever heard said as "Pan", as in cooking pan) should be said <three> times. This is the international standard.

Excuse my (minor) correction, Adam.

I hope no one here ever has to resort to broadcasting a Mayday call; but remember that the word (or Pan, which I have only ever heard said as "Pan", as in cooking pan) should be said <three> times. This is the international standard.

Excuse my (minor) correction, Adam.

Just to make clear what Christopher indicated the pre-message "headers", if you will, is said three times. The "headers" are Mayday, Pan-Pan (not Pan), and Securite. So while a call might be referred to as a Pan-Pan call, the actual call would be Pan-Pan, Pan-Pan, Pan-Pan. To some ears it will sound like "pan" and to others, me included, "pon", but we are all hearing the same thing. While the CG uses Pan-Pan calls to elicit info about and to request assistance for a vessel in distress, normally it is used by vessels to indicate non-life threatening incidents.

Often you will not hear the vessel in distress, but you will hear the CG asking for info as done in this clip.

Ed Lawson