tidal current predictions

spider

I'm doing a bit of "homework" on tidal predictions.... Here is the NOAA link http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/currents11/cpred2.html#MN

I see they give the lat and long for each station where each reading is taken.

On the risk of flaunting my ignorance...I know I can type in the numbers and get the exact locations one by one

but

is there another way to bring up the locations just for an quick overview so a person can see which stations would be of interest and then target those for further details ?

thanks...hopefully it won't be a case of "if you need to ask then you shouldn't...."

To be honest, I don't know that there is any easy way.

A small scale chart illustrating the various tide reference and sub-stations would be great but I've always needed to plot them out if I was not familiar with the local name for the given location.

I think Google earth might be handy here. You could cut and paste the lat and long (might need to adjust the format) into the search box on Google and it will provide you with the location. I usually use the appropriate chart and then plot the position of the tide stations permanently on it labeling them with the same name used in the tide tables.

This is good winter work.

Have fun, Jon

The change was calculated to be aprox 4 inches. That change in the distance of the axis of rotation from a presumed center of the earth as measured through the poles,(~7901 mi), results in a difficult-to-measure change in the angle of the axis of rotation. I'm sure the change will have a theoretical effect on tides for a while but I don't think that it will be to a degree that mariners (or kayakers) would be concerned by it. I would not be looking for any corrections to tide/current tables.

Jon

this link has some of the kind of overview I was thinking of but not the substations.

http://www.gomoos.org/data/all_measurements.html?platform=B01

you can click on individual buoys and the info comes up in this format or links into other graphics

there is about a life time of info at the website it should keep me busy quite awhile...

The change was calculated to be aprox 4 inches. That change in the distance of the axis of rotation from a presumed center of the earth as measured through the poles,(~7901 mi), results in a difficult-to-measure change in the angle of the axis of rotation. I'm sure the change will have a theoretical effect on tides for a while but I don't think that it will be to a degree that mariners (or kayakers) would be concerned by it. I would not be looking for any corrections to tide/current tables.

Jon

Only 4 inches? That doesn't even seem worth mentioning, sorry.