Thurs. Feb. 24th

bbjorn

It was warm in the mid-30's and sunny with calm seas when Spider and I launched at Tuck's, about 11:20. We followed the coast northeastward and stopped briefy at a couple beaches along the way, Singing and Magnolia Harbor. We continued for a couple hours total to a little past Hammond Castle on the S. end of Gloucester harbor and found a tiny beach to put in to, the first we'd seen in a while along that rocky stretch of coast. The wind had been picking up and the chop was building. By the time we launched for the trip back, it was very choppy on top of 2-3 ft. quartering swells. The paddle back required keeping one's focus on the water. I really wanted to snap a few pictures but thought better of it, as I had already needed a quick brace here and there.

We decided to put into Singing Beach again for a break and had to get through some small dumping surf. There were a number of strollers on the beach and as soon as I climbed out of my boat this 50ish woman charged and demanded "WHAT IS YOUR IQ?!!" I put on a stupid expression and replied "Uhhh,what's an IQ?" She said "I figured." She was completely flabbergasted and irritated at what we were doing and kept saying how nuts were were. I explained that it would be ok and promised tomorrow I'd be back where I belonged at the senior center playing bingo.

Another older guy with a big camera approached with an incredulous expression and asked a lot of questions. He finally said "very impressive!" and walked off -- a nice antidote to the IQ lady. I noticed when we launched again, she was standing a little ways away watching intently, no doubt expecting total disaster. I hope she wasn't too disappointed as we rounded the rocky point still upright and me still laughing aloud at the beach welcoming.

A great day with just enough spice with our salt. Two hours later in a long, hot shower, everything was still tilting and rocking. :>))

Blaine

"this 50ish woman charged and demanded "WHAT IS YOUR IQ?!!" I put on a stupid expression and replied "Uhhh,what's an IQ?" She said "I figured." She was completely flabbergasted and irritated at what we were doing and kept saying how nuts were were."

While I think you handled the encounter with aplomb and good humor I might have been less charitable and responded this way: "Obviously a lot higher than someone who makes assumptions and snap judgments about something and someone they obviously know nothing about." Then again at my age "50ish women" sounds pretty hot and I might have just dissolved in tears and solicited her help in recovering from such a nasty experience with the sea.

Yes, a very nice paddle and the 1st time paddling out from a "yacht club" for me.

Though not quite the warm temps as promised by the forecasters, it sure is nice paddling this time of year. No boat traffic, land wherever you want, no people to chase you away.

Nice to meet those curious as to what we were up to. Sometimes it's easy to forget how unusual it seems to some folks. So it brings a nice flavor of personalities when people come over to see what it's all about and say hi...even in their own unique ways.

.....Ahhhh the flabbergasted lady, loved Blaine' reassurance he would soon be at the senior center playing bingo...she brought a smile cuz she didn't know what to make of it all and found herself complementing our boats. She added much to the day's adventure, in her own way, though probably quite unaware of it..

Nice paddle and nice company...coldest part always seems when loading up at the end of the day...brrrr.