>would appreciate any input...

>

>Dan

>Aquanaut,

>Traffic Yellow over white

I am not sure about the post, but this is the hood that I am looking to order:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=...ext=980&Filter=

-Jason

The Henderson Hyperstretch Hoods are very popular. They have a bib type collar that can be trimmed so it will fit over the neck gasket, but under the collar of your dry suit. This provides protection for your neck as well. As far as thickness goes, my experience is that 3mm is enough for paddling, if you plan on spending time under water practicing rolling etc. you may want to go to 5mm or even 7mm, but they are very restrictive for wearing all the time. Personally, I use a 1mm skull cap, with a 1mm full hood with neck bib over the skull cap. I also have a 5mm hood for rolling practice.

jason, you might want to think again about buying a 7mm neoprene hood (more at the back, where it folds, below the zip, by the looks of it?) -- isn't kayaking rather a workout, i hear? especially in winter...

never have i seen anyone wear as much as that (except for diving) and even on the coldest days i believe you will find 3mm or 5mm more-than adequate; but don't let me put you off -- perhaps you are planning on spending lots of time upside-down?

dan, the fleece-lined kokotat "hoodie" thing with the little peak and the chinstrap is usually adequate for most conditions and then a neoprene balaclava serves for the colder days. i have a selection of headwear; but possess nothing anywhere near as substantial as 7mm!

(thinks to self: perhaps a tuiliq gets up there, towards 7mm? no, i don't think so)

I use a 7mm hood occasionally for rolling practice in cold water, but they are too stiff, uncomfortable and hot to paddle in. 3mm hoods seem to be the standard for paddling. If the hood fits right, it will seal out nearly all water, which is all that's necessary for the brief immersions that kayakers typically experience.

I've been using an O'Neil's Coldwater Hood for a couple of seasons now and I like it. It seals better than most and the visor is much handier than I ever imagined it would be. Be aware that they run somewhat small. The XL size just barely fits my size 7 1/2 head.

http://www.oneill.com/product/images/0042_sm.jpg

I see that they now have a 1.5mm version called the Gooru. It's probably a bit too light for winter use, but it might be just the ticket at other times of year.

http://www.oneill.com/index.php?func=catal...id=1&tspl_id=18

Yes... they do run small. I started with M, moved to L, then XL. The XL fits me, but barely -- it's really uncomfortably tight.

I really should have returned the L and XL, but figured I could sell them eventually. I keep missing the gear swaps, darnit.

It seems like a fine hood -- if you haven't got a swelled head like me (and Brian?) ;-))

Lemme know if you are interested.

--David.