Foot Pump?

jason

I was thinking of getting a foot pump installed as my boat is being built, I currently have a Nigel Foster Shadow on order http://www.fosterkayaks.com/Product_Shadow.htm (Made by Seaward).

While making the boat Seaward will install the front bulkhead based my leg length + the pump depth. They will install the pump to suck the water off from the floor and discharge though the deck. Beside the pump will be built out with close cell foam for my foot rests. The pump that they use is a Bosworth Guzzler 400 with a soft return spring and a Direct action lever. http://thebosworthco.com/pumps_3.htm

As part of my research I found that parts of Australia require hands free pumps http://www.jervisbaykayaks.com/PUMPS_JBK%2...MP%20SYSTEM.htm

I do realize that this will effect any possible resale value since the boat will be custom sized for me. As I don't plan on parting with the boat this won't effect my decision. I have heard some comment that people have heard (2nd hand) that the pump adversely effects the balance of the boat or that they tend to leak. But on the other hand I have seen some positive reviews of foot pumps. Thus I am not sure if I should have it installed or not.

http://www.seakayakermag.com/2003/03Feb/pump01.htm

http://www.loup-garou.net/pump.html

Thanks in advance -Jason

Bosworth pumps seem to be the standard here in the US and apparently work as well as the much more expensive (3-4x) Henderson pumps offerered by British kayak companies. I've got a Guzzler 500 and fittings waiting to go into one of my boats.

"As part of my research I found that parts of Australia require hands free pumps http://www.jervisbaykayaks.com/PUMPS_JBK%2...P%20SYSTEM.htm"

This seems to be a club requirement, rather than a law. Interestingly, this kit uses a modified Chimp pump with a bungee cord as a return spring. I have one that I removed from the deck of my Pintail and was considering modifying in the same manner.

If you think you'll use the foot pump, by all means get it. Unless you have unusually long or short legs, your boat should still fit a wide range of other people should you decide to sell it, so it should add to the resale value.

I've considered a similar installation a few times but drilling a hole through the deck and reinforcing the bulkhead for mounting have been disagreeable projects. I’m sure you mean the model shown in figure ‘D’… having a lever to snag your feet or gear on would be a bad idea.

Foot operated pumps free up your hands when you’re swamped and need stability the most but how often do you need to bail out your boat? Probably not very often if you have a bombproof roll onboard.

At this point I would choose the battery operated Atwood WaterBuster instead. The electric pump is cheaper, smaller and can be switched on or off with your toe. It can also be nested between the foam foot rests if you choose to carry it onboard.

The outlet hose connects to a deck mounted bulkhead fitting or exits the deck through a properly sized rubber grommet. I use the thru-hull grommet technique for hydration packs stowed in the aft compartment. If I’m not carrying a small cooler with ice water I just plug the grommet.

It looks like the hole they will put in your deck for the Bosworth pump will be very large in comparison to the exit port you will need for an electric pump.

Don wrote:

>The outlet hose connects to a deck mounted bulkhead fitting

>or exits the deck through a properly sized rubber grommet.

>I use the thru-hull grommet technique for hydration packs

>stowed in the aft compartment. If I’m not carrying a small

>cooler with ice water I just plug the grommet.

>

Don.

Could you tell us more about this? I finally settled for a hydration pack on the deck behind my cockpit...works well, but would much rather have it below deck. Sounds simple...is the grommet/plug something that can be bought at a marine store? No leaks?

Thanks,

Al

I use the 3 liter CamelBack bladder and tube in a six-pack size Artic Cooler that will hold an additional bladder or whatever I’ve got along for lunch. It just fits against the bulkhead in the aft compartment and the tube is pushed through the grommet when I’m setting up to launch. The blue bite valve is removed temporarily and some drinking water escapes. When the tube is through I replace the bite valve and wrap it around the life lines beside the cockpit.

Hydration packs have different tube sizes from brand to brand. I found a grommet and 3/8” plug at a True Value Hardware as I recall. There’s a snug fit between grommet and tube but not too tight. The tube can easily slide through the grommet but does not leak. I’ll try to duplicate the hunt for parts next time I’m there and update this message.

The hole drilled through the deck should be the same size as the grommet’s minor outside diameter or a little smaller to be sure it won’t leak.

Putting weight above the hull’s axis of rotation tends to destabilize the boat. You will be better off when you store the hydration pack below the deck.

I've been using a 1.5 liter Platypus hydration bladder in a PFD mounted back pack for several years and have never found it to affect the stability of the boat to any measureable degree. I don't have to deal with feeding tubes through grommets or up through spray skirts or be concerned with getting entangled in it during wet exits and rescue practice. The tube is positioned such that I can easily drink from it, even in rough conditions. While it's true that a lower center of gravity is beneficial, the relatively small weight of a hydration pack on your back doesn't make any difference that you'll notice. Changing your seat height 1/4" would probably have a much greater effect.