Bangs & Crow, Take 2!

Rob Hazard

Well, just Crow. We didn't go to Bangs. Daylight is short enough these days that it didn't make sense to try to do both Islands, so we concentrated our efforts. As it was we got back just as the sun set. No big adventures to relate, just a lovely day on the bay, light winds, sunny skies, good conversation all the way out and back. We'll have to make a date to hit Bangs another time.

I did get to try my Tiderace Xcite for the first time on salt water. Very nice boat; I'm pleased.

Thanks to everyone who showed up and made it a fun paddle!

looks like the day was as good as it gets for winter paddling. Did you portage? :-)

Oh, we did indeed! The promised column of willing native porters failed to materialize, nor was there anyone waiting to serve tea and scones on the sandbar, so we had to take it on ourselves to carry the heavily laden vessels across nearly 50 feet of treacherous sand and lethal clam shells, then fortify our starving bodies with energy bars before resuming our arduous odyssey. It was tough, I'm tellin' ya!

Rob very nice day indeed thanks for organizing the trip.

Mango was the color of the day among the paddlers...no doubt a gathering of mang golians if ever there was one.

Nice avian fauna as well...birds, about 100 Canada Geese nearby when we were launching. (plus one enthusiastic lady with a newfie pup)

Nice views and vocalizations of Long Tailed Ducks (apparently formerly know as Old Squaw ducks)...a couple great views of them landing near us... pretty "talkative" bird all and all.

One fellow knew his birds pretty well. I think later it was he who gave a nice rolling demo after lunch including a realistic view of what it looks like when tangled up in sea weed...not something your likely to see in a pool session !

and of course 10 "peeps a paddlin" in a wide variety of boats.

Nice to meet folks and puts faces with the names I have seen over the years...

Rob very nice day indeed thanks for organizing the trip.

I'll second that.

and of course 10 "peeps a paddlin" in a wide variety of boats.

Except for the couple in Surges, everyone was paddling a different boat and a mixture of paddles as well, but mango was the color of the day.

Nice to meet folks and puts faces with the names I have seen over the years...

Indeed it was.

Of course not only did we endure the fiendish plot to portage, but while ensnared helplessly in rocks I overheard our fearless leader say over the sounds of grating gel coat on rock "Guess you can wait for high tide." as he glided past and into the distance leaving me to my fate. Just punishment no doubt.

Ed Lawson

Ed, you didn't "overhear" nuthin'. I merely suggested that you wait for the rising tide to float your boat. It's what you get for taking that beautiful classic, vintage Arctic Hawk into those nasty rocks! Tsk, tsk!

BTW: I just got a note from Brian at MITA thanking us for our efforts on Crow Island. Seems we did good!

So if we should see a nice warm, sunny Saturday this winter, with cooperative tides, what say we have a go at Bangs Island? :kayak: