dry suit delamination

jeffcasey

The start:

Ripped the neck-seal out of my 9-year old drysuit, sent it off to Kokatat for new seals all around.

The bad news:

They inspected it and said that it shouldn't be fitted with new seals, some of the gore-tex was delaminating.

The good news:

They then said that the gore-tex was under warranty, and shipped me a brand new drysuit. Just arrived today.

Wow !

How can they do this and still be in business???

The moral:

If you are lazy and don't repair the seals yourself, but send them off to Kokatat for repair, they may send you a new drysuit instead.

Wow !

How can they do this and still be in business???

It's really simple, Gore backs the fabric 100% against delamination. Any Gore-Tex garment that delaminates will be replaced at no charge, even if the manufacturer is no longer around or no longer uses Gore-Tex. When my Stohlquist dry suit started to delaminate, Gore replaced it with a Kokatat suit, since Stohlquist no longer uses Gore-Tex. Not only that, they just told me to "pick any suit from the Kokatat line". I offered to pay the difference between the comparable suit to my Stohlquist - the Meridian - and the Expedition, but they refused to take any money and just sent me the Expedition.

Service like this is why I buy Gore products.

A number of us have been the recipients of new dry suits when Kokatat determined the Gore-Tex was delaminating. My current suit was such a replacement a number of years ago and my wife just received a new suit because Kokatat determined her suit she had sent in for gaskets was delaminating. It is Gore's lifetime guarantee. I also feel Kokatat is very alert in spotting delamination - neither my wife nor I spotted any issue besides needing gaskets when Kokatat determined we deserved new suits.