My socks get wet in a drysuit

brambor

In my drysuit, my socks get wet after about 10 minutes immersion. I can't really feel a noticeable trickle so the leak is somewhat microscopic but I know it is not sweat.

Is this amount of water normal or are your socks completely dry after paddling?

In my drysuit, my socks get wet after about 10 minutes immersion. I can't really feel a noticeable trickle so the leak is somewhat microscopic but I know it is not sweat.

Completely dry in my Kokatat GMER dry suit. This is my second one. The first one kept dry as well.

Sounds like you have a problemo.

Yep. I knew it for a while but denial prevented me from bowing down to Mt.Kokatat.

I will solve this. :D

Completely dry in my Kokatat GMER dry suit. This is my second one. The first one kept dry as well.

Sounds like you have a problemo.

Yep. I knew it for a while but denial prevented me from bowing down to Mt.Kokatat.

I will solve this. :D

If you've got a shop vac (or any vac that allows you to hook the hose to the air output), connect the hose to the air output, stick the hose in the leg, clamp the fabric around the hose and stick the foot & sock into a tub of water and look for bubbles. Or spray with soapy water and look for bubbles. You should have enough pressure to find a leak that soaks your sock in 10 minutes.

Phil

this started happening in mine, and then one day I spent about 45 minutes immersed while helping someone learn to roll, and the entire foot filled with water. I sent it to Kokotat to be repaired (I couldn't find the leaks) and they replied that it had delaminated and they replaced the whole suit for free.

You might be on the same path.

K

Both my Supernovas leaked profusely at the multi-panel crotch junctions, even after Kokatat's initial repair of one. Newer Supernovas, as well Goretex ones are probably much tighter, of course. I mention this only because you didn't state which model you have. If an older Supernova look for lifted tape at the crotch seams that exposes the stitches to water. You can also test by simple wading immersion. My booties didn't fill until the required immersion depth, at which time the trickle down my leg was immediate (insert obvious joke here).

It could be a leak, or it could be sweat.

Several years back there was a super hot day at the MDI symposium. I don't know what possessed me to wear a dry suit, but it seemed to be de rigeur given the setting (I'd done several paddles in a wetsuit under identical, if not colder conditions, but it seemed like protocol demanded we all wear drysuits).

In any case, I could feel my feet fill up with water and by the time I got home, I think there was about two liters worth of water in the feet. I know from many other occasions that it doesn't leak, so in this case it was sweat. My long underwear also smelled like a troll's crotch. Never again!

I like the idea of hooking up a vacuum cleaner to test out the sealing - makes sense.

Are your socks gore-tex socks or latex socks? If latex it is normal. If gore-tex it is not and shouldn't be happening. Either you have made a hole or possibly the seam tape has rubbed off the seam or possibly the material has delaminated.

If it is a Kokatat drysuit, do not spread aquaseal or any other sealant on the suit. This will prevent Kokatat from reviewing the material and determining if it is a delamination or user error such as a puncture. It can void the warranty replacement. This is also why I discourage people from using dive shops for repairs to the goretex as they use a thick cement which of course does cover the area and prevent from leaking. It also prevents it from breathing and it definitely voids the warranty.

Suz,

It's not Kokatat and the suit has a few other issues of which the combined sum makes me think I will buy a Kokatat suit. I'll see you on Kennebunk Cold Water paddle and most likely order a suit that day.

rb

Are your socks gore-tex socks or latex socks? If latex it is normal. If gore-tex it is not and shouldn't be happening. Either you have made a hole or possibly the seam tape has rubbed off the seam or possibly the material has delaminated.

If it is a Kokatat drysuit, do not spread aquaseal or any other sealant on the suit. This will prevent Kokatat from reviewing the material and determining if it is a delamination or user error such as a puncture. It can void the warranty replacement. This is also why I discourage people from using dive shops for repairs to the goretex as they use a thick cement which of course does cover the area and prevent from leaking. It also prevents it from breathing and it definitely voids the warranty.