New replacement for Valley hatch covers

Brian Nystrom

Sea-Dog has introduced a line of hatch covers that fit Valley and Kajak Sport round and oval hatch rings (they sell them with rings, too). I just received one of their 8" Valley covers and it looks really good and fits well. It's a rigid, gloss black Nylon cover with a molded to a rubber base and edge. The underside of the edge is tapered, so you can just slap it over the hatch ring and press it - or whack it - down to seal. It has both internal and external tether points, which is important because it definitely will not float. Price-wise, they're cheaper than Valley replacements (the best price I saw was $32.50), but they're not widely available yet and the price may come down once there's some competition. Regardless, they won't rot out like Valley covers, which makes them a great deal and eliminates a huge hassle.

I haven't had the chance to try it out, but I'll report back once I do, perhaps next weekend.

http://www.sea-dog.com/PDF/745170.pdf

EDIT: I just found the 8" covers for $23.32 (part number 746080) here:

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/google/custom.htm?vp=182931

Duckworks has the hatches with rings for $33.12

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/canoe...hatch/index.htm

Sea-Dog has introduced a line of hatch covers that fit Valley and Kajak Sport round and oval hatch rings (they sell them with rings, too). I just received one of their 8" Valley covers and it looks really good and fits well. It's a rigid, gloss black Nylon cover with a molded to a rubber base and edge. The underside of the edge is tapered, so you can just slap it over the hatch ring and press it - or whack it - down to seal. It has both internal and external tether points, which is important because it definitely will not float. Price-wise, they're cheaper than Valley replacements (the best price I saw was $32.50), but they're not widely available yet and the price may come down once there's some competition. Regardless, they won't rot out like Valley covers, which makes them a great deal and eliminates a huge hassle.

I haven't had the chance to try it out, but I'll report back once I do, perhaps next weekend.

Brian,

Thanks for the great find! Please keep us posted with how your testing goes. One of my valley hatches doesn't have another full season left in it.

Thanks -Jason

I'd be interested, too, in the results. The husband has NOT been happy with the hatches on his Avocet and definitely NOT happy with the ones on his 1991 Pintail. If these work better than VCP, it'd be worth his getting new hatches so I wouldn't have to listen to the string of naughty words that accompany his putting on the covers on the otherwise beloved Pintail.

Deb M

I tried the new 8" round Sea-Dog hatch cover for the first time this weekend and here are the results:

Pro's:

- Pops on easily - Just push down firmly in the center and it pops on with distinct snap, so you know it's sealed. The semi-rigid Nylon center will "oil can" when you do this, but that just makes it easier to install the cover. If it concerns you, a firm push around the edges or a moderate whack with your fist will also seat the cover. A bit of 303 on the inside of the cover helps it pop into place easily.

- Unlike Valley hatches, it's either fully on or off, no guessing or partial sealing.

- Comes off easily - Even at 40 degrees, it comes off without any major effort. No more ripping your fingernails out by the roots when trying remove your Valley hatch covers!

- Seals perfectly on Valley hatch rims - I had no leakage at all.

Con's:

- The holes in the tether tab are rather small and won't accept more than 3/32" cord, but that's easily remedied by drilling them out if necessary, as there's plenty of material there.

- Sea-Dog covers don't float, so you must tether them.

The bottom line:

I can't think of a single good reason to ever buy another Valley hatch cover. The Sea-Dog covers are easier to install and remove, seal well, do not stiffen significantly in cold weather and should be much more durable. On top of that, they're around half the price of Valley covers. Game, set and match to Sea-Dog!

Whoopee! Thank you, Brian, for the review/trial: where can we buy them? Is online the only way?

If there <are> dealers carrying them, then perhaps Joel at NESC will get them in...

Do you still want my old Valley hatch covers?

Whoopee! Thank you, Brian, for the review/trial: where can we buy them? Is online the only way?

The best price I've found so far for the 8" covers is $23.32 (part number 746080) here:

Do you still want my old Valley hatch covers?

While there's not a lot of point in repairing Valley covers now that the Sea Dogs are available, I am still experimenting with it.

I am curious if you would expect there to be any issues with the plastic parts cracking in weather cold enough for Rick Crangle to be wearing a hat.

That's probably irrelevant, since at that temp the water would be solid, so paddling would not be an option. ;)

Regardless, the plastic is Nylon, so I doubt that there would be any issues with it.

That's probably irrelevant, since at that temp the water would be solid, so paddling would not be an option. ;)

Regardless, the plastic is Nylon, so I doubt that there would be any issues with it.

Brian,

You said that these Seadog hatches fit Valley and Kajaksport round and oval hatches.

I know that the Valley and Kajaksport dayhatches are interchangeable, but are Valley and Kajaksport round and oval hatches interchangeable as well? Or are they different sizes and Seadog makes different hatches for Valley and Kajaksport hatch rims?

Brian,

You said that these Seadog hatches fit Valley and Kajaksport round and oval hatches.

I know that the Valley and Kajaksport dayhatches are interchangeable, but are Valley and Kajaksport round and oval hatches interchangeable as well? Or are they different sizes and Seadog makes different hatches for Valley and Kajaksport hatch rims?

I know that a Valley day hatch cover does not fit my P & H Quest day hatch cover which is a Kajaksport.

Bill

Brian,

Valley and Kajaksport hatches are not interchangeable at all (some boats use a mix KS 10"round or ovals and 8" Valley day hatches), but Sea-Dog hatches are available in both Valley 8" and oval and KS 10" and oval sizes.

• 4 months later...

Yesterday I did a rolling session with my new oval Sea Dog hatch on my composite Avocet. I found the hatch easy to get on & off @ a temp of 60 degrees(I did give it a liberal coating of 303).I had to drill out one of the holes on the grip area to attach my external lanyard. After the session I found that the small sponge that I keep in the compartment was slightly damp. Their was no loose water in the compartment (that is what the sponge is for). All in all it appears to be a great hatch.

Yesterday I did a rolling session with my new oval Sea Dog hatch on my composite Avocet. I found the hatch easy to get on & off @ a temp of 60 degrees(I did give it a liberal coating of 303).I had to drill out one of the holes on the grip area to attach my external lanyard. After the session I found that the small sponge that I keep in the compartment was slightly damp. Their was no loose water in the compartment (that is what the sponge is for). All in all it appears to be a great hatch.

It's nice to read a review for how well these hatches are working. We own a number of Valley boats, and I picked up a 1992 model year Pintail Friday that came without hatch covers.

We'll definitely be ordering for the fleet -- or some of the fleet -- toot sweet.

Deb M :roll:

• 4 months later...

I need to replace a couple of Valley hatches. Unfortunately, the sailboatowners.com link that folks have posted here doens't work anymore. I posted to CRCK, but the response I got back seemed to suggest that the person had no idea what I was talking about. Can anyone help me find these Sea-Dog hatches? ...and are they the same as or different from the Sea-Lect Kayak Hatch Covers? I can get the Sea-Lect hatches from DuckWorks.

...or does anyone have other recommendations?

Thanks!

Ty

I need to replace a couple of Valley hatches. Unfortunately, the sailboatowners.com link that folks have posted here doens't work anymore. I posted to CRCK, but the response I got back seemed to suggest that the person had no idea what I was talking about. Can anyone help me find these Sea-Dog hatches? ...and are they the same as or different from the Sea-Lect Kayak Hatch Covers? I can get the Sea-Lect hatches from DuckWorks.

Thanks!

Ty

Tyson, I think they're one and the same. On duckworks page for rudder control footpegs, they reference sea-lect and sea-dog in the same add copy. That said, I haven't tried them to be sure.

Phil

Tyson, I think they're one and the same. On duckworks page for rudder control footpegs, they reference sea-lect and sea-dog in the same add copy. That said, I haven't tried them to be sure.

Phil

Interesting... Great find! Thanks!

Thanks!

Ty

Don't know whether they are the same, however Sealect hatch covers seem to work. I got an oval one for my glass Avocet, after few hundred rolls haven't seen any water in the rear compartment (didn't try it in conditions yet). I ordered the cover thru Charles River Kayak in Newton (sealect doesn't sell them directly). Hope this helps.

I ordered a couple of the 8" round Sea-Lect (don't know why they seem to be under different names) hatches from DuckWorks. CRCK was having trouble either figuring out or being clear about if they had actual Valley hatches or the Sea Dog/Sea-Lect hatches. I had ordered before they got back to me.

Thanks!

Ty