Annisquam River Currents

StewPedascho

I am thinking of taking some friends on a little paddling voyage in the Annisquam this weekend, but I am unsure what is the best time for a favorable current. I have paddled the Annisquam River during the last three Blackburn Challenges and this year it was great! The current was fantastic! Are there best times of the tide to paddle this river? I'd like to put in at the High School and take out at Lobster Cove, behind the Annisquam Yacht Club.

Stew P

I am thinking of taking some friends on a little paddling voyage in the Annisquam this weekend, but I am unsure what is the best time for a favorable current. I have paddled the Annisquam River during the last three Blackburn Challenges and this year it was great! The current was fantastic! Are there best times of the tide to paddle this river? I'd like to put in at the High School and take out at Lobster Cove, behind the Annisquam Yacht Club.

Stew P

you can find current predictions for annisquam and other local sites here:

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/currents10/tab2ac2.html#8

There's forecasts for both ends of the annisquam.

Phil

It sounds like you want to catch the outgoing tide current. Remember that from the high school you have to pass under the railroad bridge. At that point the current flows toward the harbor, which means paddling hard against the flow to get under the narrow bridge. If your friends are novices and not up to that you can plan the trip at slack high tide there, then catch the beginning of the ebb to ride out to Lobster Cove. You can check the Annisquam tides here:

http://www.boatma.com/tides/Sep/Annisquam-Lobster-Cove.html

I think high tide at the railroad bridge would be about 20-30 minutes later than at the listed tide for Lobster Cove.

Or, you could do the same thing at slack low, but that narrows the river really a lot and would be less fun as you would be sharing the channel with power boats.

Liz