Reed Aquatherm Oval Hatch Cover

risingsn

I am considering adding these to my kit as emergency hatch covers. Does any one have any experience w/ them or other suggestions http://www.secondwindsports.net/products/products.php?cat=8

Does anyone have a WWW address for Expedition Essentials or is Dale out of the business?

Thanks for your help!

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I ordered two for the day hatches on our boats (an AvocetLV & a CetusLV; also usable on the husband's Avocet) and the larger one for the rear hatch on the AvocetLV.

Very good quality and very packable. Chris at SecondWind Sports is a delight to deal with: he knows his stock (especially Reed as he's been a distributor for a while) and he gets the product to you fast.

Dale is still coaching but I don't think he's still in the kayak & kayak accessories business.

Deb M

Not to reduce interstate commerce in these recessionary times, but what's wrong with a good garbage bag and some bungee cord?

Phil

Nothing wrong with a garbage bag and bungee at all -- I always carry both in my repair kit -- but sometimes it's nice to have a specific tool for a specific job.

Deb M

Nothing wrong with a garbage bag and bungee at all -- I always carry both in my repair kit -- but sometimes it's nice to have a specific tool for a specific job.

Deb M

I am a fan of a spare float bag my self.

Palm makes neoprene emergencyhatch covers.

Many years ago, I bought a 7" and a 10" version of the Palm neoprene emergency hatch cover that Brian mentions (for Valley day hatch and NDK cargo hatch respectively).

They are more or less mini-spray skirts with bungies sewn into the rim. Work very well when on: a very tight seal, much better than any designs with gathered material such as nylon fabric.

However, they were always difficult to put on (hard to get the entire bungie over the rim without the other side slipping off). After 12 or so years of drying out, it's virtually impossible for one person to put on without tools. I carried them for a couple of years, then didn't bother because 1) I didn't lose hatches and 2) couldn't get the spares on if I did. Maybe if I got them on and left them for a few weeks, they would stretch back out.

I did go out and buy fabric, light bungie and cord locks to sew up my own lightweight spare covers, but that was five or six years ago and the materials are still sitting in the shopping bag.

Having spares seems a good idea: I know from the experience of fellow paddlers you can lose hatches. Hint: while Valley hatches will float, NDK/Kajak Sports hatches will sink out of sight in the time it takes to say "Oh, #&@%!!!" Second Hint: Tethers are a very good idea. That's my main line of defense.

Float bags are a good idea in a pinch, but you'd have to find storage for whatever was in the hatch.

Scott

For anyone that is interested I have two Reed Aquatherm emergency hatch covers that I am willing to part with. The round will fit the 8" day hatch of a Valley boat and the oval will fit the standard VCP fore and aft deck hatch openings. Yes, they were indeed purchased from Chris at Second Wind.

Neither spare cover has been used. Why am I parting with them? I recently sold my Valley Aquanaut LV and purchased a P&H boat. These emergency covers do not fit the Kajaksport hatch openings.

For anyone that is interested I have two Reed Aquatherm emergency hatch covers that I am willing to part with. The round will fit the 8" day hatch of a Valley boat and the oval will fit the standard VCP fore and aft deck hatch openings. Yes, they were indeed purchased from Chris at Second Wind.

Neither spare cover has been used. Why am I parting with them? I recently sold my Valley Aquanaut LV and purchased a P&H boat. These emergency covers do not fit the Kajaksport hatch openings.

Timing...I just ordered new ones yesterday...