Walden Pond rolling/sculling practice/stupid kayak tricks

Lbeale

This Wednesday join a motley crew of kayakers for a skill session at Walden.

All welcome,

Arriving between 5 and 5:30 pm--we paddle to the farthest end of the pond and practice until they call us out, usually around 7:30 pm.

After 5:00: free admission.

If there is rain, this practice session is cancelled.

This Wednesday join a motley crew of kayakers for a skill session at Walden.

All welcome,

Arriving between 5 and 5:30 pm--we paddle to the farthest end of the pond and practice until they call us out, usually around 7:30 pm.

After 5:00: free admission.

If there is rain, this practice session is cancelled.

Hope to join this "motley crew" on Wed for the first time if work schedule allows!

prudence

Hi, I am a new member and new kayaking too... I would love to join you if I can escape out of work early enough...

I have not yet learned to roll, but would love to practice self-rescues. Would this be ok at this venue?

Julie C

Hi Julie,

Yes, self-rescues are definitely appropriate here-we welcome this type of skill work and are happy to lend a hand if you have any trouble getting back in your boat!

Phil

Thanks for the reply Phil! I will definitely be trying to join the group tonight - it it hot enough that I want to get in the water doing rescues! As long as work let's me out I will be there :D

So it's going to be a gazillion degrees today and everyone on earth will be wanting to get cool. Any thoughts of likelihood of parking being shut down at Walden at 5ish this afternoon because of crowds? I generally go in the morning when it isn't an issue. Would hate to go through hassle of getting boat on car, getting gear etc, driving a half hour and then finding I can't get in!

prudence

So it's going to be a gazillion degrees today and everyone on earth will be wanting to get cool. Any thoughts of likelihood of parking being shut down at Walden at 5ish this afternoon because of crowds? I generally go in the morning when it isn't an issue. Would hate to go through hassle of getting boat on car, getting gear etc, driving a half hour and then finding I can't get in!

prudence

Hi Prudence,

I call Walden before I make the effort to see if it is closed and when they will open again. I have had no trouble at 5 even on hot days like today. A word of caution, if they state they are going to open again at a certain time--get there at that time. I understand your reluctance given today's temp.

Les

Hi Prudence,

I call Walden before I make the effort to see if it is closed and when they will open again. I have had no trouble at 5 even on hot days like today. A word of caution, if they state they are going to open again at a certain time--get there at that time. I understand your reluctance given today's temp.

Les

Do you perchance have the Walden phone number you use?

I would definitely like to get upside down this evening!