Advice sought regarding online limits of access...

Pintail

(Bill Gwynn?) Once again, I am finding it hard to post inasmuch as it takes only three or four minutes in which my access expires. So, once I have signed-in, I have barely enough time to compose something and (hopefully) post, before finding that I am again blocked -- result: I invariably have to copy and paste, re-sign-in and do it again!

I know you have told me it is likely a problem with this computer, Billy; but this does not happen to me on other websites...I am flummoxed! Any advice? (Writes himself, already copying, in anticipation!) (Ha! It worked first time...see: it's an erratic problem...)

(Bill Gwynn?) Once again, I am finding it hard to post inasmuch as it takes only three or four minutes in which my access expires. So, once I have signed-in, I have barely enough time to compose something and (hopefully) post, before finding that I am again blocked -- result: I invariably have to copy and paste, re-sign-in and do it again!

I know you have told me it is likely a problem with this computer, Billy; but this does not happen to me on other websites...I am flummoxed! Any advice? (Writes himself, already copying, in anticipation!) (Ha! It worked first time...see: it's an erratic problem...)

OS? Browser? Cookie settings?

Have you tried a different browser?

I don't know the answer, but these details may be relevant.

I would check your Router. My guess is that it's having issues and rebooting and each time getting a new IP address (The joys of PPOE). You have logged in 5 times today on 4 IP addresses. The message board will invalidate your login cookie if your IP address changes to prevent Cookie hijacking.

I can send you a log of the IP addresses you have logged in at if that would help you.

-Jason

Ditto what Tyson and Jason said. You can try clearing out your temporary internet files (may help), but there definitely is a "problem" with your IP addressing, something is causing you to get new addresses. Do you have a router? Are you using DSL, Dial-up, cable etc? It is true that a new IP address invalidates your login cookie. Do you have cookies enabled?

The message board will invalidate your login cookie if your IP address changes to prevent Cookie hijacking.

That sounds like a likely source of Pintail's problem.

IMHO, that is a major PITA. Because I hop between an Android phone and a couple computers, plus on and off of VPN's, my apparent IP address hops around. Getting bounced and having to log back in is rather annoying. Other sites don't feel the need to do that.

The rather strict "flood control" that triggers at just the 2nd message is rather a bummer also. It would seem that something that permitted responding to more than 1 message, but locked out longer if it really triggered, would be more effective and less obstructive.

My comments are meant as constructive feedback. It is a well run board and I thank those that administer it.

Cheers!

Ty