Float bag size?

Phil Allen

Hi All-

Want to add a float bag to my kit as a safety measure. If it was just me, I'd get the one that fits my boat and no bigger, but since I envision this could go in any of the boats when we're playing near rocks I'm tempted to get the biggest regular volume. Is there any downside to using an oversized bag in smaller compartments? My keen sense of the obvious is that one would just inflate it less in smaller compartments? Thoughts?

Phil

I would consider keeping an inflatable paddle float handy if your choosing between various inflatable items. I like the idea of having something that a compromised paddler can use to stay upright/stabilize themselves if there are only two of us and I need to tow; ie sea sickness.

Float bags aren't a bad idea to have in place anytime you're rock gardening, playing in surf etc. but it would be more of a production to modify one to act as a paddle support if that was all you had.

Jon

I would consider keeping an inflatable paddle float handy if your choosing between various inflatable items. I like the idea of having something that a compromised paddler can use to stay upright/stabilize themselves if there are only two of us and I need to tow; ie sea sickness.

Float bags aren't a bad idea to have in place anytime you're rock gardening, playing in surf etc. but it would be more of a production to modify one to act as a paddle support if that was all you had.

I can't really see any downside to having a float bag that is bigger that you "need" Phil.

Jon

Jon

I carry both a float bag that fills a large bow hatch pretty well and a paddle float. They take up no room and get packed in whichever boat I am paddling.

Suz

Jon

Jon-

I always carry my paddlefloat, even if the best everyday use for it is as a pillow (nap on the beach anybody?). Float bag is in case someone holes their boat. Thanks.

Phil

I am not real sure which style of float bag you're thinking of, but I founds the ones I had by NRS that inflate by blowing into a tube would go flat.

Of the six I had for ww kayaks 4 would go flat. The bags were advertised as near indestructible

and since they cost a dollar or two I was determined to find out why.

It was the inflation tubes themselves that cracked over time. I would blow it up and they would go flat in minutes.

When I was using them (and even perhaps when I stored them) I would have to bend the tube to fit behind the seats. Repetitive use found them always bending in the same spot till they cracked.

I fixed them by wrapping electric tape around the cracks and they hold pretty good.

I know there are different styles of float bags, but that is the definite Achilles heel if you use that style.

Thought I would mention it just in case...

Thanks all. I ordered one large floatbag from NRS. Spyder, I'll try not to kink the hose (though those in my WWboat are always getting kinked, might explain having to blow them up before everytrip).

Phil

Is there any downside to using an oversized bag in smaller compartments? My keen sense of the obvious is that one would just inflate it less in smaller compartments? Thoughts?

I think you'd be fine with any size. With some care, large one can be used in a small compartment. However, you don't have to completely fill a compartment. I would have considered a smallish one for convenience, and if it ends up in a compartment that is larger, so be it.

Ty