Storage for kayaks

bprindle

I’d like to bring our kayaks down here (Massachusetts) at least for the next few months and maybe longer. We are currently storing them at Charles River Kayak in Newton, but would like a location more protected or closer to the ocean. I have a roof rack. We’re thinking that the North Shore seems to offer more of the kind of kayaking we’re qualified to do – pretty calm water, estuaries, marshes, etc. We live near Burlington, MA.

Have you considered locking on top of your car? One of the club founders did so while living in Waltham years ago. A recent visitor did so in Cambridge without incident. I've seem u-bolts installed for this purpose but you can get long sturdy cables that require no such modifications to your boat.

Have you considered locking on top of your car? One of the club founders did so while living in Waltham years ago. A recent visitor did so in Cambridge without incident. I've seem u-bolts installed for this purpose but you can get long sturdy cables that require no such modifications to your boat.

That is a great idea and I just bought such cables to store them at Newton. Sometimes the obvious is the hardest thing to see. And who wants to steal a car with two kayaks on top!

My wife and I also stored our boats for a season or more at CRCKnewton. When we realized they were staying on the roof from April till November we gave up on that idea. Just make sure you remember they're on there when thinking about garage parking and other low overhangs.

Phil

Outdoor storage as a long term strategy has a downside. Plastic boats are especially prone to UV degradation. Those who care will notice the colours of other boats fading. UV protection of glass, etc. boats depends on the inhibitors in the gel coat, which does get scraped off now and then.

Read this, it made me wonder if you saw my Avocet locked to my roof as I was having an after paddle lunch at the John Harvard Brew House. It did make parking interesting since I did not dare try to get into a garage and I do not parallel park well. I love to being able to lock the boat on the roof, have boat will paddle.

SueL, be careful, also, that you do not leave your lashings <too> tight! Those plastic boats will deform in hot sun (as Katherine knows all too well!). Composite boats not susceptible. As Bob writes above, UV degradation might be a potential problem (but then you might also invest in a kayak cover?)