Kittery Point Wednesday 8/11/2010

Gcosloy

Circumnavigate Gerrish/Cutts Island Wednesday 8/11. HT is 12:28PM. Meet at Odiorne SP boat ramp, Rye , NH at 10:30AM Launch 11:00AM across the Piscataqua and head for the Fort Forster pier. We should make Brave Boat Harbor at high tide and enter Chauncey Creek. Head up to the old Coast guard station before making the crossing back to Rye. Lunch or snacks inside Brave Boat or Seapoint beach. Approx. 10 miles and L3 only because of the open water and potential chop during the crossings. Since the tides will be close to slack at this time, current should be negligible.

Will update conditions as the date grow close. RSVP here if interested.

Circumnavigate Gerrish/Cutts Island Wednesday 8/11. HT is 12:28PM. Meet at Odiorne SP boat ramp, Rye , NH at 10:30AM Launch 11:00AM across the Piscataqua and head for the Fort Forster pier. We should make Brave Boat Harbor at high tide and enter Chauncey Creek. Head up to the old Coast guard station before making the crossing back to Rye. Lunch or snacks inside Brave Boat or Seapoint beach. Approx. 13 miles and L3 only because of the open water and potential chop during the crossings. Since the tides will be close to slack at this time, current should be negligible.

Just looked at my GPS track of the last time I did this and it recorded 13 miles. If the weather forecast turns stronger wind or waves than anticipated we could shorten the trip by launching from Kittery Wharf.

As far as I can ascertain I'm in (probably). Send exact location of the put-in, when known (us dum ingineers from MA don't no nothin bout Mane).

As far as I can ascertain I'm in (probably). Send exact location of the put-in, when known (us dum ingineers from MA don't no nothin bout Mane).

Forecast is looking good although it is still early. The presumption is that the put-in will be Odiorne.

Seavey Creek/Odiorne

A popular put-in in the Portsmouth area (Rye, NH) is Seavey Creek, just before Odiorne State Park. From the North or West, head S on Rte 1 at the traffic circle. Travel 2.0 miles(you will cross Sagamore Creek), and turn left onto Elwyn Road at the traffic light. Travel 1.4 miles to Foyes Corner, and proceed straight on Rte. 1A (Pioneer Rd) for 1.1 miles to Seavey Creek. There is free, sometimes congested parking on the near side of the Creek, and the launch is muddy. A $5 parking/launch fee is charged at the lot on the far side of the Creek, but there is a gradual cement launching surface.

I have parked on the far side of the Creek maybe four times this summer and never saw anyone collecting a fee.

Circumnavigate Gerrish/Cutts Island Wednesday 8/11. HT is 12:28PM. Meet at Odiorne SP boat ramp, Rye , NH at 10:30AM Launch 11:00AM across the Piscataqua and head for the Fort Forster pier. We should make Brave Boat Harbor at high tide and enter Chauncey Creek. Head up to the old Coast guard station before making the crossing back to Rye. Lunch or snacks inside Brave Boat or Seapoint beach. Approx. 10 miles and L3 only because of the open water and potential chop during the crossings. Since the tides will be close to slack at this time, current should be negligible.

Why not TOMORROW (Tuesday)?!

Sigh....

Ern

Circumnavigate Gerrish/Cutts Island Wednesday 8/11. HT is 12:28PM. Meet at Odiorne SP boat ramp, Rye , NH at 10:30AM Launch 11:00AM

Will probably join you, assuming the bout of tendonitis in my back/shoulder clears up, which it seems to be doing.

--David.

Coastal forecast for Portsmouth is 2' seas, N changing to NW wind under 10k with gusts same. Leisurely trip planned, plenty of time to explore the nooks surrounding Gerrish. HT is 12:30PM. Entering Chauncey Creek about 1:00PM is ideal. Plenty of water and a little bit of current reveals the correct branches through the marsh areas.

I'm definitely coming :-)

BTW, the address 506 Ocean Blvd, Rye, NH seems to work if you're using a GPS to get there...

Lisa

That's interesting Lisa. Phil Allen once wrote to use 500 Ocean Blvd. The first time I tried this with my TomTom it took me all the way down the Ocean Highway almost to the Hamptons. Since then I've been using Pioneer Rd. with an interection of Brackett Rd. which is about 1/4 mi east of the put-in. Go figure.

...my TomTom it took me all the way down the Ocean Highway almost to the Hamptons.

Well, hmm, I double-checked on my Garmin and 406 is a little closer, so that's maybe a better bet. These numbers are always an estimate, anyway. Probably best to keep a sharp eye out for other cars with kayaks on top :-)

Lisa