It really is a bad idea to set off flares on: July 4th

jason

Some people have suggested that it's OK to set off flares on July 4th.

I have always thought it was a bad idea to set off the expired flares, as just like any other day of the year people can get into trouble on the 4th and may need help. It seems that the CG also don't see setting off flares on the 4th as a good idea:

http://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/778/829751/

-Jason

Some people have suggested that it's OK to set off flares on July 4th.

I have always thought it was a bad idea to set off the expired flares, as just like any other day of the year people can get into trouble on the 4th and may need help. It seems that the CG also don't see setting off flares on the 4th as a good idea:

http://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/778/829751/

-Jason

I was on a trip headed by Kevin B to see the fireworks from the water at Lynch Park in Beverly, and may have seen these flares. Somebody shot off three parachute flares as a seemingly endless flotilla of boats was returning to the Danvers River. If I recall correctly, we reported seeing them but the Coast Guard/Harbormasters were already involved in the search. The CG asked boaters to turn off all but running lights, possibly to avoid stray lights during the search(?). If this was the perp, $180 seems rather lenient.

Bob

It _should_ be perfectly reasonable to report when and where you will be setting them off and do it yourself.

A discharged flare is no longer a disposal risk. It lets you become familiar with their operation. ...and gives you a chance to see if they work and how visible they are or are not. Training is vital, yet not allowed.