Launch fee at Gloucester HS?

casousa81

Hi all,

I've been lurking around the boards for a while, and will probably finally start attending the Chebacco Lake sessions next week (with the hopes of joining some trips after that).

My wife and I are planning on paddling the Annisquam this weekend, and although I could launch from Smith's cove where we keep our skiff, I'm thinking the high school ramp will be more convenient. I know that they charge a fee to launch from a trailer at the ramp. Do they also charge to splash a kayak, or is there a better (beach) location adjacent to the high school?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

~Chris

No charge for kayaks at Gloucester High School, as long as you stay clear of the ramp -- launch to left-hand side of the ramp (as you face across the river), or further left, closer to the school playing fields. It is acceptable to drive your car right into that corner whilst unloading; but immediately afterwards, remove it to some place away. Note that most signs say "Parking for trailers only", so be creative (I often park alongside the tennis courts, for example)

No one will hassle you, unlike these recent horror stories concerning Ipswich Pavillion Beach, posted elsewhere, and your car will be safe...(I rarely remember to lock mine!)

No charge for kayaks at Gloucester High School, as long as you stay clear of the ramp -- launch to left-hand side of the ramp (as you face across the river), or further left, closer to the school playing fields. It is acceptable to drive your car right into that corner whilst unloading; but immediately afterwards, remove it to some place away. Note that most signs say "Parking for trailers only", so be creative (I often park alongside the tennis courts, for example)

No one will hassle you, unlike these recent horror stories concerning Ipswich Pavillion Beach, posted elsewhere, and your car will be safe...(I rarely remember to lock mine!)

Thanks! I took a drive down there this afternoon and it looks like there's plenty of beach to launch from.

You do have to pay $5 to park a car in the double trailer slots. But, you can fit two cars into a slot for one $5 bill. I do it often while practicing for the Blackburn Challenge. The first time I didn't know about it I got some type of private ticket to pay up that day.

We ended up using Corliss landing today. There were only two other cars there when we launched, which surprised me considering it was an hour before high tide. Great little spot... until we got back 4 hours later and had to carry the boats through a bit of mud. The carpets in my car will definitely need some vacuuming tomorrow!