Gloucester South - Sunday 7/18

alcoons

Date: Sunday 7/18

Launch: Gloucester: Pavilion (Greasy Pole) 10:00 AM to take advantages of the tide, parking, beat the heat, and reduce thunderstorm risk. Beach briefing 9:45. Drop off and park on the street if the lot is full.

Route: South past Hammon Castle towards Kettle and Magnolia. Return by Dogbar and Gloucester Harbor tour. 12-15 miles. Something like this:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3883960

Level: 3 Note that large swells and wind are not uncommon on the central part of this trip. This could be a 3- or a very solid 3/3+ depending on conditions.

Trip Type and Tone: CAM. All stay together. Support each other. Conservative decisions. Should be comfortable with wind and waves. Large group would allow split for longer paddle.

Low Tide: Sunday 11:09 AM

Status: Enough people have already shown interest so this trip will go unless there is a significant change in weather or sea conditions.

Al,

I'm a most probable.

Nice to paddle with you yesterday, despite the barking crab....

Hope the coast stays as cool Sunday too.

Ern

Date: Sunday 7/18

Launch: Gloucester: Pavilion (Greasy Pole) 10:00 AM to take advantages of the tide, parking, beat the heat, and reduce thunderstorm risk. Beach briefing 9:45. Drop off and park on the street if the lot is full.

Route: South past Hammon Castle towards Kettle and Magnolia. Return by Dogbar and Gloucester Harbor tour. 12-15 miles. Something like this:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3883960

Level: 3 Note that large swells and wind are not uncommon on the central part of this trip. This could be a 3- or a very solid 3/3+ depending on conditions.

Trip Type and Tone: CAM. All stay together. Support each other. Conservative decisions. Should be comfortable with wind and waves. Large group would allow split for longer paddle.

Low Tide: Sunday 11:09 AM

Status: Enough people have already shown interest so this trip will go unless there is a significant change in weather or sea conditions.

Sounds like fun. Of course I'm thinking like a 25 yr old! A bit more "private sea time" is in order for this old "has been",me thinks, and a spray skirt for my old rig. Forget the flare gun and UHF. I've been warned about your "check lists!LOL

Overhill

Sounds like fun. Of course I'm thinking like a 25 yr old! A bit more "private sea time" is in order for this old "has been",me thinks, and a spray skirt for my old rig. Forget the flare gun and UHF. I've been warned about your "check lists!LOL

Overhill

Overhill

Checklists?

When do you plan to be back and off the water? Liz

Hi Liz.

Certainly hard to tell. Depends on the group, conditions, and what we really end up doing. But you knew that. So, maybe 2:30-3:30 PM is a reasonable estimate from previous experience. Might be earlier but I doubt later unless distance is increased by group consensus.

Al

Certainly hard to tell. Depends on the group, conditions, and what we really end up doing. But you knew that. So, maybe 2:30-3:30 PM is a reasonable estimate from previous experience. Might be earlier but I doubt later unless distance is increased by group consensus.

Hi Al,

Forecast is 12knots WSW, so we should have an easy ride back.

Ern

Sunday...SW winds 10 to 15 kt...becoming W 5 to 10 kt late this morning and afternoon. Seas 1 to 2 ft.

...and HOT 'n SUNNY too.