Moonlight paddle for the full moon...

Pintail

Oh, ye of little faith!

So -- there were around fifteen who expressed interest in this and there were several who posted their regrets (and one who had the good manners to call me and advise of cancellation: thank you, Katherine)! What should we find, on gathering at the put-in? Just three arrived for the gig -- plus a very tired Liz, who needed to go home and get some sleep for the next day's group paddle. (First words out of her mouth: "I have never seen such a beautiful city as Cape Town!")

Skies were grey and watery-thin, with late sun trying hard to shine through, despite a sixty-second spattering of feeble precipitation, as Deb, Barry and myself were getting on the water; but -- soft you now, who comes? Tearing into the cove arrived two guests, whose names I forget, to join us for an evening on the sea. They brought what appeared to me to be wonderful technique and sturdy, British boats.

As we paddled gently past the Lanesville "suburbs", the sun set behind us most vividly, the redness of it fiery and doubly impressive against the prevailing greyness. The sea condition was glassy as we played among the rocks along the east side of Halibut Point. Soon after dark we landed on that minimal piece of beach just south of Rockport harbour entrance, where some local youngsters had a bonfire going; but we spent only a few minutes there -- enough time only for a hasty energy bar -- before beating a retreat from mosquitos and other biters!

Across the bay we paddled slowly back in complete darkness, avoiding the one or two vessels returning to Rockport, and slowly the full moon emerged from the breaking clouds (fifteen or twenty degrees above the horizon?) to accompany us all the way home...it was a magical night! Off the water at around 2245? Thanks to everyone for lovely company!

(See what you missed? :D )

I forgot also to write that we had a view of the new auditorium in Rockport, which looks quite spectacular from behind -- you can see straight inside through the glass wall that overseas the bay. There was a piano recital taking place and the series (Rockport Chamber Music Festival) is pretty-much a sell-out, I understand.

I was thinking about you guys while watching the full moon rise over magical desert mountains.... dry, dusty, coyotes howling... but I thought I saw a bit of triple-reflected shimmer with a hint of rockport harbor swells undulating through it. (naw, it was most likely the tequila).

Try again in July? I'll try to be here for the next full...

I was thinking about you guys while watching the full moon rise over magical desert mountains.... dry, dusty, coyotes howling... but I thought I saw a bit of triple-reflected shimmer with a hint of rockport harbor swells undulating through it. (naw, it was most likely the tequila).

Try again in July? I'll try to be here for the next full...

be great to see you on the water muchacho....i can introduce you a field margarita recipe that was shown to me by an old salt yankee....you might like it.