Have fun, you lucky stiffs!

PeterB

People paddle composite boats at this event?!

Geez, may as well order a new one before you go, so you'll have something to paddle afterwards.

:D

Barely more than a scratch on the AA. ...the Tahe, however, took a bow to the side of the hull and will require a little work.

This link may show an entertaining video clip:

Paddle Chase

I have some pictures and a bit more video, but I will need a bit more time to organize and clean-up. Quite a few of the pictures suffered from water or fog on the lens cover.

My review:

I took a few indoor pictures on Thursday night before the fun began. After that I did not have the guts to take the camera with me. :D

I will work on the pics tonight.

I have to say that the event was awesome for me. Even though I was futzing around in the least challenging classes as far as rough water is concerned I have learned great deal and improved my confidence in bouncy water.

I originally planned on taking first day of greenland instruction, second day 'intermediate strokes in conditions' and third day 'rock and roll'.

I have started rolling this winter and felt pretty good about it coming to the symposium.

My first day in greenland instruction I have worked on the concepts of a forward finishing roll. This is a roll I would like to learn next. The instruction was very helpful and I have also learned a few good tips about my layback roll. big After lunch we jettied out to the bumpy water. For more experienced paddlers this might have been a benign sea state but for me it was just enough to process. I really enjoyed it a great deal. The return back to the beach through the mini 'race' of standing waves was exhillirating. I managed to stay upright that day and felt brave enough to demonstrate my rolling at the end of the day. To my utter disappointment I failed my roll and subsequent encore wasn't any better.

So the next day I decided to go back to the Greenland class and fix what might have been broken in my technique. Of course I nailed both sides of my rolls before we even began the practice but my decision to do the second day greenland was sensible because I really had been using a lot of bad technique. I have improved my layback roll and now I have things to work on to perfect it. After lunch it was another trip to the bumpy water. This time we were to paddle through the standing waves in the race and then back out and do it again. It was bumpy enough that I was not in control of my boat. Even though I did not capsize I tried to process the information before I headed out again. As a result I went out 2 out of 3. Both times were turbulent like in a washmachine. It was very exciting for me. I had a great coach with me to guide me along and to ask if I was ok in between venturing out again. I was fine but I just did not want to just mindlessly throw myself into a bumpy water only for the sake of doing as many runs as possible.

The third day I went to do intermediate strokes in conditions. I took a bit stabler boat with me for this class. The previous 2 days I was paddling Valley Q Boat. I was talking to Tom Bergh about the boat and he explained to me that the boat is very advanced and difficult to control for someone of my level. Even though Tom can handle any boat he did (with tongue in cheek) say that the boat was too much even for him.

So I took out Seda Ikkuma. A 17 foot greenland 'inspired' boat. The boat was great in the bump. I felt a more secure platform under my butt. Our main coach was Fiona Whitehead. She really did an excellent job in explaining all the effects of edging, currents, core paddling and boat control and the different strokes to choose. I have learned a great deal and took with me a lot to work on.

After lunch we again went into the bumpy water. We played along the rocks and had a good time in the swell. I felt very comfortable now to be out there, either thanks to the stabler boat but also from the cumulative experience over the past few days. I felt great. Then it was time to head back in through the surf.

Our instructions were to try to return through the 'ferrying' channel. I've done that the day before and I felt very confident to do it again. We did talk about giving each other a good distance between boats to make it through. When I was prompted to go I just responded to the nod but I made one mistake - This time I did not really check the surf behind me. Needless to say I picked up two good breakers right when I was in near the rocks. The result was me getting the boat into the 'race' and then dealing with the surf. These were surely the biggest waves I have been in and I did capsize while dealing with them.

Being upside down in waves is clearly totally different than rolling in calm water. I did almost manage to roll up but I did not recollect myself under water to do all the parts of the roll correctly especially the head back on the layback. So I swam. My coach was right there with me. He did a great job staying with me in the bump. We did a two boat rescue by first emptying the boat. The waves filled the boat before I got back into it. It is interesting to note how much more difficult it was to get on the back deck when dealing with waves. Once I was in the cockpit we decided to paddle it out with the boat full of water. I reattached my skirt and so we went through the surf zone. I managed one more capsize in which I did a little better with the roll but still not good enough. These experiences are cumulative and one seems to do better every subsequent time.

This time I rolled up by holding to the coaches bow. We paddled though the surf and I made it to shore fine by bracing off the waves.

This was all very exciting. So I got into my boat and paddled back though the surf in an attempt to surf back to shore and to work again on my wave bracing. I did fine and had a big grin on my face - really this weekend was adults playing like kids. :-)

The evenings were filled with great slideshows from some of the expedition coaches. Greenland, Madagascar, two dudes paddling the east coast (Jake and Glen / portagetoportage.com / oneoceanproject.com)

I wholeheartedly recommend going to this event again.

Thanks.

Wing paddle rolling with Jen, surfing, playing in currents and tidal race with Phil (world class kayak surfer), core paddle instruction from Cyro (thanks for the rotation tip) -- "Never enough rotation" -- and for the confidence you gave me in your "seal of approval" for my stroke-

My first ever surfing into a rock channel--my swearing knew no boundaries when I found myself surfing into rocks--I actually apologized to Phil for swearing like a sailor--that's how bad it was--

Pictures -- no

Memories -- yes

Skills development -- most definitely

Could of done a week but a weekend was good start

Thanks to Peter B. for telling me what to expect--

Tom B for organizing and to all the paddlers who attended the Symposium who gave support and advice when I was on top of the water as well as below-

And to my coaches-

Jen, Cherri, Turner, Phil, Cyro

To paddling bud Lorrie -- I need you to spot me with my wing some time soon -- at the calm waters of "Walden"

To be able to play with such vigor under the guidance of world class coaches-- "opportunity," a word used to describe this symposium, is an understatement.

Next year -- go --

Les

AKA Swearing Ferret

Emilie, you handled the "christening" of your new boat with grace, especially if your goal for the weekend was to bring it back in one piece. Les, I'd love to spot you & practice rolling at Walden.

I had a blast this weekend and highly recommend this workshop to anyone looking to take their skills up a notch. Great company, some of the world's finest coaches/paddlers, options for how much risk/excitement you want, and loads of fun.

I learned how to ease myself into surf and conditions in such a way that I can enjoy it. After an initial freak out entering conditions for the first time with my new Greenland stick, I went back to flat water to warm up with some rolling. Jen Kleck, an awesome West Coast coach, quickly decided rolling abuse and "kayak S&M" was in order to move beyond my perfect Walden Pond roll. She banged on my boat, knocked me over, made me roll repeatedly as fast as possible and simulated rough water conditions. Then I headed back to the "soup zone" in the surf with Paula and my new friend Prudence. Three of us sat in the waves without boats and practiced bracing into the waves with Greenland sticks-laughing the whole time. A kodak moment only no one was taking pics... Next up we got back in our boats and practiced bracing and rolling into the waves. My confidence rose a notch when I was back-surfed and my combat roll worked.

The next day I spent refining strokes in flat water, surf & rocks. Day three was a treat with Nigel Dennis, patriarch of British kayaking and Jen leading us through rock gardens, followed by surf play. By the end of that day I was enjoying a rather lively tide race, with another successful combat roll in the middle.

I also enjoyed living vicariously through the tales of the expedition paddlers. As cool as it might be to experience the thrills of paddling in far away places, worrying about ice flows closing behind you in Greenland with no ability for search and rescue, or paddling for weeks with Water temps of 102.5 in Madagascar is a little too extreme for me...

This link may show an entertaining video clip:

Paddle Chase

oof....looks like a fun paddle....but that is the exact reason why i have my pvc tubes!!!! easy to put back away...also the tubes work very well to hold the spare in place in a wave slap to the deck

nice day for a bumpy paddle!

oof....looks like a fun paddle....but that is the exact reason why i have my pvc tubes!!!! easy to put back away...also the tubes work very well to hold the spare in place in a wave slap to the deck

nice day for a bumpy paddle!

On my Shadow I have the Tubes and on my Quest I have paddle Britches and have been impress with how well they keep my spare in place).

http://www.northwater.com/html/products/se...leBritches.html

-Jason

How easy is it to re-stow using the paddle britches? I've just been doing the loop around bungie starting from the front, which locks them in place, but it can't be replicated from the cockpit.

Phil

How easy is it to re-stow using the paddle britches? I've just been doing the loop around bungie starting from the front, which locks them in place, but it can't be replicated from the cockpit.

Phil

That's the nice thing about paddle britches or tubes, they hold the paddle but you can take it out then return them back very easily.

-Jason

That's the nice thing about paddle britches or tubes, they hold the paddle but you can take it out then return them back very easily.

-Jason

I vote for the paddle britches! They restow easily and don't come off in surf.

Another vote for paddle britches. And, because they are made from heavy duty fabric -- I think it's Cordura -- they won't scratch your deck up every time they shift position.

Very neat invention, even if they do look like Lederhosen for Leprechauns.

Deb M

:surfcool::roll:

On my Shadow I have the Tubes and on my Quest I have paddle Britches and have been impress with how well they keep my spare in place).

...or just use a traditional paddle. They stay put without tubes or britches and are, oh, so nice to use. :D

Another vote for paddle britches. And, because they are made from heavy duty fabric -- I think it's Cordura -- they won't scratch your deck up every time they shift position.

Very neat invention, even if they do look like Lederhosen for Leprechauns.

Deb M

:surfcool::roll:

Just use a little ABS tubing with a couple of 90 deg. Costs $5 and takes two minutes to do. Many of you have seen mine on my kayaks and they work very well, never lost a paddle off the deck...

...or just use a traditional paddle. They stay put without tubes or britches and are, oh, so nice to use. :D

That was my problem. I was playing with Turner's greenland stick and wanted to go back to the euro blade in the surf. Swapping back and stowing the split euro was the problem.

Phil

Just use a little ABS tubing with a couple of 90 deg. Costs $5 and takes two minutes to do. Many of you have seen mine on my kayaks and they work very well, never lost a paddle off the deck...

Dan,

Had those before you even thought of having them:) BUT I prefer the Lederhosen for Leprechauns.

Suz

Dan,

Had those before you even thought of having them:) BUT I prefer the Lederhosen for Leprechauns.

Suz

Everyone I know who has paddle britches likes them alot, at this time they seem to be a tried- and- true item, but I wish they could design them so they don't look like a little pair of pants. Too silly looking.