Short tow rope-length?

gyork

The transom puts the tow gear on the boat, not on my person, and is more comfortable and endurable for extended tows. (Perhaps debatably) changes in direction are handled better this way as well. The "transom" is a rope that passes from side to side behind the cockpit, the release is right behind me on the right. It is always deployed and ready, both short and long, without wearing something around my waist (and remembering or choosing to put it on). Though not a feature of the transom but rather of the two tows available I can uncoil one tow to wrap up a boat without lines, something I presume Scott or another will show in the upcoming session(s), and tow it with the other. It does mean I can't easily pass the tow to another tower, considering this and other downsides the tradeoffs leave it a clear preference.

The transom puts the tow gear on the boat, not on my person, and is more comfortable and endurable for extended tows. (Perhaps debatably) changes in direction are handled better this way as well. The "transom" is a rope that passes from side to side behind the cockpit, the release is right behind me on the right. It is always deployed and ready, both short and long, without wearing something around my waist (and remembering or choosing to put it on). Though not a feature of the transom but rather of the two tows available I can uncoil one tow to wrap up a boat without lines, something I presume Scott or another will show in the upcoming session(s), and tow it with the other. It does mean I can't easily pass the tow to another tower, considering this and other downsides the tradeoffs leave it a clear preference.

Can you provide a pic of your set up? Perhaps others can do the same of their preferred methods. I don't like to keep my tow belt attached to my waist either and keep it stowed in the hatch behind me. Not the best place for it, I know. Definitely looking for other comfortable options where deployment can be fast and quick release made easy.

Doug

I am unfamiliar with that definition of "transom": I always thought it was the stern of a vessel (typically, a flat section, in wood or steel or whatever)?

Why not avail one's self of <both> systems and carry tow belts on boat <and> body? Towing from the waist on flat water is no "big deal" -- it can be tough, however, in big water...

I also like to carry a short tow belt/rope across the deck in front of the cockpit, always ready for a short or contact tow.

Want to stow a daisy-chained short tow aft of cockpit. What length do y'all prefer?

Anybody use/prefer an on-person (stuffed into pfd) climbing sling as an alternative?

Something else?

By "daisy- chained short tow aft of cockpit", not quite sure what you mean. Short tows are usually stowed in front of the paddler, not behind.: too hard to access & fuss with back there, as they are usually only intended for deploying quickly & using for shorter distances than a "regular" tow line.

If you mean an aft-of-cockpit deck-mounted tow system, which I believe Bob is replying to, that's different. Whether deck- mounted or on a tow belt, tow lines are often daisy- chained to a shorter length , then can be undone to pay out to longer length if needed . Every paddler has their own set-up (short and long length) that works for them.

As regards transom, I refer to something that allows the tow rig to freely move from side to side behind the cockpit. In sailing I recall it allows for the sheet at the end of the mainsail to slide thus and be fixed at various points, especiallly useful when racing and otherwise tacking often. For the tow rig it does not offer the ability to fix the position of the rig.

As regards short tow behind, I have a bungy "weave" behind my cockpit that holds the bag portion of the long tow to the deck on one side (across form the day hatch) and enough "weave" to wrap and hold down the short tow on the other side (over/beside the day hatch). Both tows are thus within easy reach on opposite sides and due to the large "'biners" are easy to grasp, release, etc. I suppose one could similarly deploy their short and/or long tows for easy access without the "transom" where a belt tow could be grabbed and put on.

I've had no success with pictures on the message board. If you want a photo you should leave me an e-mail address and I'll send a treo-quality image.