friday, may21

raddog

I have friday off and want to get out on the water somewhere. Looking at one of three lakes in NH (Sunapee, Newfound or Squam) or something Portsmouth- Rye area. Tides high very early morning and late afternoon so I'm not sure how much mudflats I feel like dealing with. Anyone interested or have any good ideas for a mid-day paddle.

Jeff

17 Eskimo,

teal over teal

I have friday off and want to get out on the water somewhere. Looking at one of three lakes in NH (Sunapee, Newfound or Squam)

Personally I think Squam provides the best paddling of the large lakes in NH. The SLA provides a nice launch site, there are numerous islands and little inlets for gunkholing, there are several islands and places on shore that are open to public access, boat traffic is light, and you can go watch the eagles and their chicks as well as Loons. since it is relatively shallow, a stiff breeze will build waves more than one might expect on Squam and fresh water wind waves tend to be short period and steep compared to the ocean...or at least it seems that way to me.

> Tides high very early morning and late afternoon so I'm not sure how much mudflats I feel like dealing with.

[/unquote]

That makes for a good timing to leave from Odiorne. Go out with the ebb and then come back with the flood. Assuming you are going out and along the coast.

Ed Lawson