Sticky Fingers- Gear Question

JasonG

Hard question that is... everyone has there own combination that works for them.

Here is what I do - if conditions are such that the likelihood of me going over is slim, my preference is just to use either one pogie and switch back and forth or two pogies. My favorite pogies are Bomber gear Spider Mitt- w/ gauntlet - combination of neoprene and some sort of wind block stuff. [http://www.bombergear.com/5070.html].

If it gets a bit colder or the likelihood of getting wet increases, I just add thin neoprene gloves from NRS. The ones I have are very flexible but they do have a shiny palm which makes it hard to hold a paddle. So when I am wearing these, I wax the shaft - I think that the wax is surf board wax - not sure as the package is long gone. I bought it at NESC.

I have tried about 3 other types of gloves, heavier and warmer, with precurved fingers. I don't like them heavy as it is hard to feel the paddle. The ones that are thick tire my hands out.

I believe that gloves w/o the shiny surface are easier to grip with but I haven't found ones that I like the fit.

It really is very much trial and error.

If you only have the one pair, it is nice to bring hot water in a thermos to warm them up after a lunch break.

Suz

I started paddling Euro and have since switched to the superior method, i.e. Greenland. While I was gripping metal shafts with hands that were also used to apply sunscreen I adopted gloves in all kinds of weather. I wear Warmers in the warmer weather. I find excellent tactile feel while wearing them. I have poly liners that I put underneath in the Fall and Spring but in truly cold weather I use Nordic Blue gloves with liners. I've been carrying pogies since I bought my Orion but have yet to use them.

Aside from gloves, you might want to consider a paddle or a paddle modification to provide orientation of the blades to your hand. Some paddles have a ridge for orientation. With the twig I have my hands at the end of the loom touching the blade offering orientation.

Like Suz, I prefer flexibility. Here's what I look for in cold-water gloves:

1. Raw neoprene which give excellent grip.

2. No or minimal interior seams, which can cause irritation. I'm not a big fan of designs with multiple layers of different materials, as these require multiple seams.

3. Glued seams which means the glove is waterproof (except around the cuff). This will keep cold water from seeping in during paddling but not if you go for a swim.

4. 2mm thickness which is plenty flexible but warm enough for most paddling. 3mm or above makes it harder to feel the paddle (and perform other tasks that may be safety-related) but are sometimes necessary due to very cold waters.

My favorite is the Glacier Glove Aleutian Water Sport: 2mm, glued seams, raw textured all over, very flexible, lined, tight fitting. Main drawback is that the seam at the base of the palm blows out after a season or two, a problem I've largely solved by applying a bead of Aquaseal to the exterior seam when they are new. Not for really cold water, but fine April-November. Retail about $30.

https://secure7.nexternal.com/shared/StoreF...ount2=428153634

Glacier also makes a heavier model with a blue hyperion palm and knuckle inserts for more pre-curve; while comfortable for their weight, they are too thick for me unless it's really cold.

I've also had good luck with Chota models, again in plain, raw neoprene.

Finally, for dead-of-winter paddling, you need a dry glove such as the Nordic Blue.

Scott

I use 3mm pre-curved fleece lined gloves, I think they're Chotas. I keep an extra pair of gloves (for me) and some pogies (for loaning) in the day hatch. Many people buy the hunting/ice fishing gloves at Wal-Mart, I have never found them in stock, so I stopped looking and bought the Choatas.

In addition to some indexing on your paddle I strongly recommend attaching something to the loop on your spray skirt. With neoprene gloves on it can be tough to find that nylon loop, especially when you're upside down, holding your breath, and your eyes are shut.

I don't know about "best" - but I use thick neoprene gloves. Simple, cheap, and pretty reliable. Even in the coldest conditions they work well, and give me a good grip. I have a graphite composite shaft. I also like the tactile feel they give.

You have to keep an eye on the seams, however - they tend to fray with heavy use.

John

In cool temps or cool water (my hands are in the water on almost every stroke), I use 3 mm neoprene gloves with bare neoprene palms. I've got Chotas, NRS and Stearns. Although I'm wearing NRS gloves currently ($36, but I got 'em for $18), the much less expensive Stearns gloves ($15) are every bit as good. IMO, the Chotas are junk and didn't even last a full season. Textured neoprene palms are grippier than smooth neoprene palms and are less prone to squeak annoyingly while paddling. Regardless, neoprene gloves seem to last ~1 season, perhaps a bit more, before they wear through or tear at the seams.

When it gets cold, I switch to Nordic Blue dry gloves (www.nordic-blue.com). I have a couple of different liners that I use with them, but most of the time I wear Smartwool gloves as liners. The NB's are quite grippy and provide a reasonable level of paddle feel, considering how thick and warm they are.

I've also got a pair of 6mm neoprene diving gloves with Kevlar palms. While they are pretty warm, the palms are "slipperier than snail snot". The thick material forces my fingers apart and gripping the paddle makes my hands ache, despite the pre-curved fingers. I carry them as backup/loaner gloves in the winter, but don't use them otherwise.

The Glacier glove looks good. Any retailers stock them?

The Nordic Blue look like big rubber glove with a gasket?

Are your hands soaked with sweat after paddling hard?

You must wear a liner? Fleece? Wicking thin liner?

Something for warmth?

Your comment on strain is right on I don't think I would want anything thicker than 2mm. I wore what they called a 5/3 hood this past weekend. My neck got quite the workout, looking over my shoulder for incoming surf.

>The Nordic Blue look like big rubber glove with a gasket?

They come with sewn-in liners that most people remove but otherwise correct.

>Are your hands soaked with sweat after paddling hard?

I find myself working harder than most the people I have been paddling with though this summer things seemed to improve demonstrably. I don't generally have problems with sweaty hands (and haven't since my junior prom).

>You must wear a liner? Fleece? Wicking thin liner?

>Something for warmth?

Recommend warm-when-wet materials and what is comfortable for you. Wool or fleece would be fine. Not sure there's anywhere for the heat to go so wicking is of little value.

Another option which I have been extremely happy with is SealSkinz waterblocker gloves. They consist of two layers of knit materials with a waterproof/breathable membrane in between. The outer layer has a DWR finish, so water generally beads off. The palms have dozens of these little grippy dots that work so well, I tend to wear them well into the spring.

They are super warm and comfortable. When the temperatures drop below freezing, I add some neoprene pogies which are incredibly toasty. I have had my first pair for two years now and they are barely showing wear. However, there is a new version called Chillblockers which have a fleece lining. They feel much warmer, so I will be buying some soon.

I just bought a pair of Glacier Gloves last weekend and used them in Vermont. The outside temperature was 15 degrees with an 18 knot wind. Water temp was 44 degrees. My hands stayed warm and dry the entire day. I found the feel on the paddle much better than my 3mm NRS gloves. I also use SealSkin gloves but found they are not warm enough in cold water and air temps.

>The Glacier glove looks good. Any retailers stock them?

Locally, Wilderness House had them.

>The Nordic Blue look like big rubber glove with a gasket?

They're Atlas coated canvas gloves with latex seals added.

>Are your hands soaked with sweat after paddling hard?

Not soaked, but damp.

>You must wear a liner?

Only if you want to stay warm. ;-)

The glove shells are thin and don't offer much insulation. They come with knit synthetic liners, but they're not very good. I had to cut mine out (no big deal), but I think they now come with removeable liners.

>Fleece? Wicking thin liner?

>Something for warmth?

Select your liners on the basis of how much warmth you need.

>Your comment on strain is right on I don't think I would

>want anything thicker than 2mm.

I've never had a problem with 3mm neoprene gloves or the Nordic blues with liners that are at least that thickness. If the gloves provide a decent grip, you can paddle with a relaxed grip on the paddle, just as during the summer. Some people find that using a paddle with a smaller diameter shaft is more comfortable when wearing gloves.

>I wore what they called a

>5/3 hood this past weekend. My neck got quite the workout,

>looking over my shoulder for incoming surf.

The only time I use a hood thicker than 3mm is for extended rolling sessions in cold water. The 3mm hoods are fine for paddling. If I need extra warmth, I'll wear a hat over the hood.

two small observations (very personal, but based on experience):

(i) glacier gloves are very comfortable; but their life expectancy is, as someone else has pointed out, limited (one to two seasons);

(ii) seal skinz have been for me useless in . i therefore consider them fall and spring gloves only. i was almost frost-bitten, once, wearing those in the depths of icy winter!

you can hardly have too many gloves (you'll need spares), so it is worth experimenting. i have a pair of nordic blues (size small) for sale, by the way, if anyone didn't see my post on the personal classified ads. page...they were bought off one of the folk who introduced us all to them -- i think they were too for her; but they are a touch too for me!