Iceland?

JohnHuth

I had two questions on Iceland for any of you experts out there.

1.) Has anyone kayaked in the NorthWest Fiord region and have any useful information about this area? I'm toying with the idea of a trip there next summer. (for those unfamiliar - Iceland's Northwest Fiord region is a huge maze of fiords and islands. Part of is is a very wild national park).

2.) There was a recent group who circumnavigated Iceland and had made slide show presentations about it. Does anyone know whether they're writing this expedition up as a book?

(I was in a town called Vik last summer, which has a large basalt beach - pitch black. I stood on the edge of it and saw huge breakers coming in with a 45 knot cross-wind blowing spume off the tops. I can't imagine how anyone traversed this section of coast.)

Many thanks in advance,

John Huth

(i) i am almost certain that a solo trip in this area (the northwest fjords of iceland) was written-up in "sea kayaker" magazine within the last year or two. i'll see if i can find the article; but you should be able to research it easily enough...

(ii) chris duff told us he would be writing up that trip (iceland circumnavigation) as a book!

The Iceland circumnavigation Christopher refers to was completed by Chris Duff, Leon Somme and Shawna Franklin.

The website for the expedition is at

http://www.icelandexpedition2003.com/

along with photos and regular updates which tell the story. It is not, however, a detailed logbook useful for piloting.

I imagine any of them would be happy to point you to further resources or answer questions.

John Burleigh did the solo circumnavigation, also in 2003. His a website is at:

www.iceland2003.co.uk

but does not appear to be up and running now.

Scott