Messing around in some bump with skinny sticks

tyson

Last fall, Doug was foolish enough to reveal the location of one of his private stashes of bump. Saturday Emilie and I picked up a used NF Silhouette that is for sale to test paddle it. Since Doug's secret stash was on the route home, it seemed like a great opportunity to try the place out. This was also my first chance to try out my new GoPro Hero helmet cam while kayaking:

Cheers!

Ty

Last fall, Doug was foolish enough to reveal the location of one of his private stashes of bump. Saturday Emilie and I picked up a used NF Silhouette that is for sale to test paddle it. Since Doug's secret stash was on the route home, it seemed like a great opportunity to try the place out. This was also my first chance to try out my new GoPro Hero helmet cam while kayaking:

Cheers!

Ty

How do you like the Silhouette?

Saturday Emilie and I picked up a used NF Silhouette that is for sale to test paddle it.

You in an AA and Emilie in a Silhouette ought to be neat combination. Both are very nice boats. Congrats on finding one for sale. Where did you find one? I only know of three around and all in Maine.

So just how did you mount the camera on your stern?

Ed Lawson

How do you like the Silhouette?

My initial impression is that the Silhouette is less playful than the AA both right side up and upside down. The surfing definitely favored the more maneuverable boat. I need to take the Silhouette out another day for a longer paddle. It does seem to be faster than the AA.

Size-wise it was on the high end of the range that I'm interested in. But on the other hand I didn't have problems with being blown around in the wind like I have with some other boats. Note that I am looking for a low volume boat.

Congrats on finding one for sale. Where did you find one? I only know of three around and all in Maine.

Well, you see, Maine is about as far away as Mt Washington, and we got used to driving there every weekend until the snow melted...

So just how did you mount the camera on your stern?

GroPro sells a suction cup mount. It stayed on the whole ride, although it was tethered just in case.

Emilie

Cheers!

Ty

My wife and I were the ones that stopped by as you were gearing up to head out! We just finished a beach walk. My Anas was back at the Inn we stay at. You 2 seemed in a hurry to get off so didn't spend much time chatting, i should have asked if you were NSPN people. I play that area frequently when were in "that area" either on business or pleasure! Nice spot. I played in it Sunday and the conditions were even better on the mid day tide!!

Still alive and kickin....

My wife and I were the ones that stopped by as you were gearing up to head out!

Hi! Nice to close the connection! Though we were working to get packed, we are always happy to chat and meet new people while doing so. You said so little that when I considered the meeting on the drive home, I was suddenly not certain that you weren't referring to the camera I had on the stern rather than the boat.

Hopefully we'll cross paths again this summer.

Cheers!

Ty

Cheers!

Ty

Great video! I seem to have underestimated how great those little GoPro's are. You guys look like you were having a great time at _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ . See you on the water soon .

Doug

It does seem to be faster than the AA....

Size-wise it was on the high end of the range that I'm interested in. ..Note that I am looking for a low volume boat.

If you have the engine, it is a rocketship compared to the AA. It has more volume (310L) than an AA (288L). I believe it is more a fast touring boat for small/medium paddlers than a low volume play/weekend boat. Seems a Rumor or maybe a Vela would be boats worth trying. Both are in the 270L range. The Rumor in particular is one fast, playful boat and I'm told it surfs well.

Ed Lawson

It's now made by Current Designs. It's another Nigel Foster boat.

http://cdkayak.com/products/template/produ...dceeb04e8497687

That is the one. I think it fair to say it is an advanced, high performance hull and not for the faint of heart or even a non-athletic weekend warrior. Lots of volume in a loose bow leading to a fairly flat bottom for surfing even tiny swells and ending with a hard chined rear half for control. Not your typical Brit banana boat. Hull profile reminds me of Schade's Petrel which is another boat designed as a high performance play boat I believe.

Ed Lawson

That is the one. I think it fair to say it is an advanced, high performance hull and not for the faint of heart or even a non-athletic weekend warrior. Lots of volume in a loose bow leading to a fairly flat bottom for surfing even tiny swells and ending with a hard chined rear half for control. Not your typical Brit banana boat. Hull profile reminds me of Schade's Petrel which is another boat designed as a high performance play boat I believe.

Ed Lawson

seems that boats that easily tip over automatically become " advanced, high performance" boats. what is it about a Rumour that makes it high performance? E.g. what can a high performing, advanced paddler do in a Rumour that he/she would not be able to do in a more stable boat like a Romany?

E.g. what can a high performing, advanced paddler do in a Rumour that he/she would not be able to do in a more stable boat like a Romany?

As a believer in the "It is the paddler not the boat" mantra, I assume nothing. Might be a difference in how they do it and their experience doing it.

A F1 driver could drive a F1 and a Honda Accord around say the Nürburgring at speed, but that does not it would be the same in both.

Would be an interesting discussion as to what traits in a boat people think make a boat "advanced" or "high performance" or whatever. I suspect it would be quite the collage.

Ed Lawson

As a believer in the "It is the paddler not the boat" mantra, I assume nothing. Might be a difference in how they do it and their experience doing it.

A F1 driver could drive a F1 and a Honda Accord around say the Nürburgring at speed, but that does not it would be the same in both.

I used to be quite active in autocross, a form of car racing. I started out in a Dodge Neon, and with some practice was typically beating folks in Corvettes, Porsches and the like. Driven well, a Neon can be very fast on an autocross course. That didn't stop me from moving to a open-wheeled Formula Ford. The Formlua Ford did all the same things, but was somehow WAY more fun. I can reliably roll my Pisgah. Its not even close to as much fun as the AA.

Would be an interesting discussion as to what traits in a boat people think make a boat "advanced" or "high performance" or whatever. I suspect it would be quite the collage.

To me, advanced suggests high performance, perhaps while trading some of the docile characteristics that might be suitable for people who are less skilled. ...or it may just trade docile characteristics for (in someone's opinion) more fun. ...see above. specifically, stability takes some of the control away from the driver, pilot or paddler, it puts it in the hands of the road, winds or waves. The tuning of my Neon's suspension was "advanced". It gave me tremendous control while trading away a considerable amount of stability.

High performance means (IMHO) excellence in things that can be measured (such as speed) or some form of large or extreme operating envelope that allows "it" to operate in ways or conditions that lower performance "machines" can not. It is sometimes possible for something to be both high performance and docile. I don't find the AA at all unstable, yet it is a hell of a lot of fun.

Cheers!

Ty

Who make the Rumor?

Emilie

You might look around early Nigel Foster Rumour's might be more appropriate for skinny sticks as they where made with an ocean cockpit. If you end up falling in love with the Rumour you might check with Brian Nystrom I think that he knows the location/owners of all (or most all) of the ocean cockpit Rumour's.

-Jason