Manchester by the Sea Sat 3/6

rylevine

Perfect weather: sunny 50s with about 4ft waves. Participants were Dave C, Chris, Sean, Ross, and myself. Left at 10:00 from Ocean St in Manchester. Beach looked a little rough but launch OK - mine was perfectly mis-timed so got an early soaking. Headed south towards Singing Beach, which was dumping. So much so that at one time Ross swam out the kayak with a tow from Dave and Sean - as well as an assist from Chris. Headed a little further south and then about .5 mile off-shore to a ledge with beautiful 6 foot breakers. Attempted some rides, but I found the big waves too fast to catch, so mostly just enjoyed the bump before paddling south towards Tucks. Put-in for lunch just north of Tucks in small rocky cove that looked forbidding, but it turned out that much of the energy was broken by some rock formations so there was a path in. After lunch we headed to Tuck's point rock formations, and further for a break at Misery Island. For a brief period we shared the ocean with the coal ship heading to Salem. In the return from Misery to Ocean St kept mostly to a straight line, with some people detouring back to Singing Beach and the coast. Return at 4:00 - an exhilarating trip for the start of spring paddling! Thanks to Ross for calling it.

Perfect weather: sunny 50s with about 4ft waves. Participants were Dave C, Chris, Sean, Ross, and myself. Left at 10:00 from Ocean St in Manchester. Beach looked a little rough but launch OK - mine was perfectly mis-timed so got an early soaking. Headed south towards Singing Beach, which was dumping. So much so that at one time Ross swam out the kayak with a tow from Dave and Sean - as well as an assist from Chris. Headed a little further south and then about .5 mile off-shore to a ledge with beautiful 6 foot breakers. Attempted some rides, but I found the big waves too fast to catch, so mostly just enjoyed the bump before paddling south towards Tucks. Put-in for lunch just north of Tucks in small rocky cove that looked forbidding, but it turned out that much of the energy was broken by some rock formations so there was a path in. After lunch we headed to Tuck's point rock formations, and further for a break at Misery Island. For a brief period we shared the ocean with the coal ship heading to Salem. In the return from Misery to Ocean St kept mostly to a straight line, with some people detouring back to Singing Beach and the coast. Return at 4:00 - an exhilarating trip for the start of spring paddling! Thanks to Ross for calling it.

Wow, sounds awesome, sorry I missed it. Did you all land at Singing Beach? We were on the beach yesterday with our dog and I kept thinking how tough it would be getting on and off the beach without dumping in the breakers?

Wow, sounds awesome, sorry I missed it. Did you all land at Singing Beach? We were on the beach yesterday with our dog and I kept thinking how tough it would be getting on and off the beach without dumping in the breakers?

Hi Gene,

If I recall correctly, Ross and Dave went all the way into the beach. Everyone but me went through the pinched (low tide) entrance from the north, which had a lot of irregular surf in it. I figured it was just a little beyond my skill level, at least for cold water, and went around the rock formation and back to the beach. Actually, there were some large breaking swells on that route as well. Another excellent adventure off Manchester....

Bob

It was a great day! The weather was warm enough so you never got cold, but cool enough that we weren't sweating in our dry suits. I got to try out my new pogies but my hands got too hot so I just wore my gloves and was comfortable the rest of the day.

I would imagine that the conditions were similar to those found on the west coast (I've never been), with large, long period swell with little chop. We initially intended to play amongst the rocks, however, the swell was a little too big for our comfort.

Thanks Ross for posting the trip.

Pics of the day are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/cbmabon/3610Ma...feat=directlink

Nice pics guys. Looks like you made the best of a turbulent sea on Saturday.

A group of us opted for a Sunday paddle around New Castle NH. Conditions calmed down quite a bit from Saturday apparently. We were able to do rock play most of the day. My new keel strip never got touched but two repairs are now under way from missing gel coat that was clonked off by a hidden rock at Odiorne. Great to be out again.

Doug